28 October 2009 – Fall Safari

October 28th, 2009 § 11 comments

28 October 2009 – Fall Safari, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Khaki jacket: F21
  • Magenta nursing tank: Old Navy
  • Orange scarf: gift from sister-in-law H.
  • Jersey pencil skirt: Target
  • Riding boots: Banana Republic

When I found out I was pregnant I tried to squeeze as much wear out of my favorite pencil skirts before my baby bump made them impossible. And when I packed said skirts away, I threw myself a brief, miniature pity party, wondering if pencil skirts would ever figure again in my post-partum, mommyhood phase of style. And then, just a few days ago, while sifting through a clearance rack at my local Target, I found this brown Merona skirt. A semi-structured, straight jersey skirt? Shut up. Oh, and what’s that? It has a wide, flat elastic band to keep jiggly tummy bits in place? And I can even sit on the floor in it? And it’s $8? Yes, please.

Okay, so it does have one flaw: front patch pockets. But I’m letting that slide for now as I triumphantly add one more garment that is baby-lifestyle and E-style approved. I’m excited to play with this skirt and, yes, it might very well give my current mom uniform a run for its money.

And without completely giving away baby e.’s and my upcoming Halloween attire, I will admit that today’s outfit came together while rummaging through my closet and drawers, trying to craft a costume for this coming Saturday. Speaking of, if you haven’t already done so, check out Jessica Schroeder’s great set of from-your-own closet Halloween costumes (granted, you have to have as fabulous a closet as she does, but they’re fantastic inspiration!).

28 October 2009 – Fall Safari, originally uploaded by academichic.

§ 11 Responses to 28 October 2009 – Fall Safari"

1. Sally says:

Loving you in these rich, autumnal tones!

2. A-C says:

Isn’t Target wonderful? I went yesterday and actually saw the skirt you’re wearing. Didn’t try it on, but I did find a pair of long cardigans on super duper sale that I did buy. I’m wearing one today and posting about it later.

3. Nadine says:

Gorgeous- love the orange/purple and the socks. You could always take the pockets off (I do this all the time). Use a scalpel to cut the stitches.

4. Oh I love the skirt! I need to get brown tights from Target anyway, I should take a peek at the clearance while I’m there ;-)

5. love this! (And I have a hard time believing you have any ‘jiggly tummy bits’ to camouflage)

I love how that skirt is just a bit structured, but still comfy jersey. Love the vibrant color combo too!

7. Luinae says:

Oh, wished we had target in Canada- I loved it when we lived in the States.

8. gina says:

I love that whole outfit, head to toe.

9. Marla says:

Started following this blog a few months ago and love it! Thanks for all the great outfit/shopping ideas and discussion on academic fashion. I’m a grad student too so I appreciate the unique take on it all. Posting the first time today because after reading this post I got my Athleta catalog in the mail and saw that they have a few colors of a similar knee-length, stretchy skirt with a wide waistband. They’re a little pricey now ($48) but who knows, maybe they’ll go on sale in a couple months. Thanks again for the great photos and tips.

10. Megan says:

Love it! I’m not sure I can believe that you have tummy jiggly bits though!! It really is a cute outfit :)

11. the spanish lady says:

yesterday I went to see Agora, the last film from alejandro amenabar, and the main character (hipathia, played by rachel weisz) wore an orange and purple robe and I thought about you inmediately. Great outfit!