24 October 2009 – Night at the Opera

October 25th, 2009 § 13 comments

24 October 2009 – Night at the Opera, originally uploaded by academichic.

On S1 (above):

• Black dress – Target, remixed
  • Silk tie belt – from another (thrifted) dress, remixed
  • Vintage brooch – was my grandmother’s
  • Pink pashmina – H&M, remixed
  • Gray wedges – Report, remixed
  • Pink clutch, Ann Taylor, remixed

On S2 (below):

• Ivory shimmery top – recent H&M purchase
  • Black pencil skirt – recent H&M purchase
  • Ribbon weave pumps – bought in Romania years ago

Saturday night found S2 and I enjoying a wonderful production of Janacek’s Janufa at the Munich Opera House. The night ended with enthusiastic Bravas and Bravos from the audience and we, too, shared that enthusiasm despite having seats that allowed us to see no more than 65% of the stage at all times… ahh, the nosebleed section of the Opera.

Since I’m abroad this year and have a limited wardrobe, I wore my one black dress that I packed and will likely wear for all formal events to come. By styling it differently each time, I hope to avoid having you (and me) groan, this outfit again?! as I pull it out over and over. This time I added a pink and tan obi belt, which comes from this silk dress I wore on my last opera visit, and a pink pashmina. I also took a cue from A., who’s done this brilliantly a few times lately, and added a sparkly brooch to my belt for added drama and dazzle.

Vintage Brooch, originally uploaded by academichic.

Ideally, I would have worn these shoes with the above outfit, but had I packed those, last night would have likely been their main starring role on this trip. Instead, I brought my trusty gray wedges, which can be dressed up enough to go with a Little Black Dress but are also a smarter every-day, get-lots-of-mileage-out-of-me shoe choice.

24 October 2009 – Night at the Opera, originally uploaded by academichic.

Meanwhile, S2 looked stunning this this ivory shimmery cowl neck top and black pencil skirt combo. But I think her shoes truly did steal the show here: cream peep-toes with a dark brown ribbon weave, lovely! A great example of how a patterned shoe can add the perfect finishing touch to a basic outfit.

Ribbon weave shoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

I think it’s also worth noting that we went to the Opera wearing outfits comprised almost entirely of Target, H&M, and thrifted pieces. And we didn’t look that bad, right? I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend as well, whatever Saturday night found you doing. S.

Munich Opera House, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 13 Responses to 24 October 2009 – Night at the Opera"

1. SE says:

Wow! I am being absolutely honest when I say you both look stunning here. I wish I knew how you are able to always look so effortlessly chic on a limited wardrobe, but I suspect it has something to do with basic good looks and that European flair.

Anyway, love the pink and black, and S2 looks simple and elegant.

2. HistorySpice says:

You both look stunning. I love the opera and dressed up to go recently myself. I forgot to take my camera, though, so I only had photos in my apartment for my own blog post, which certainly made it a bit less glamorous.

3. Luinae says:

S2 does have beautiful shoes- I really want them. You both look beautiful, love her draped top.

4. Kari says:

You both look VERY sharp! (And I’m also ogling S2′s shoes – just lovely.) I’d never have known how budget-savvy your outfits are unless you had told us.

What perfect opera garb. Yes, I find that simpler pieces from places like Target can often be more classic than some really trendy items. Sounds/looks like a lovely night.

6. Julia says:

S, how do you always manage to pull off effortless elegance like no one else! You both look gorgeous! Love S2′s shoes!!

7. Thank you so much for the incredibly kind bloggy birthday greeting. You made my morning! And, I am a big fan of your blog. I love to see academics who can dress as smart as they are. You both get an A+ in opera chic!

8. Vanessa says:

I love that you went to the opera in such cheap yet chic pieces! I love the sash you used on your LBD with the little broach. You girls always inspire me to look at my clothes and think of new ways to wear them.

9. jentine says:

Wow… how glamourous… the opera,huh? You chose a great black dress for your year abroad. The cut of the neckline is very flattering on you. As always… you both look great!

10. Holly says:

Wow!! Just found your blog!!! I just love all the ideas. I’m excited to get dressed tomorrow.

11. Nadine says:

The pair of you are very gorgeous. I always wear my cheap low-end stuff to the ballet. Low-end stuff is all I have!

12. [...] out and the lighting in my room is horrible. So you can just pretend to be seeing this outfit with this background and then you get the idea. How else would you style this LBD other than with a pashmina scarf and a [...]