30 September 2009 – Fashion Copycat

September 30th, 2009 § 11 comments

30 September 2009 – Fashion Copycat, originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed:

• Blue scarf – TJMaxx
  • Pale pink top – TJMaxx
  • Purple cardi – H&M
  • Black capris – Younique Jeans, via TJMaxx
  • Knee socks – J.Crew
  • Black boots – Banana Republic
  • Tan bag – Etienne Aigner

This outfit was inspired by an image in Lucky that I bookmarked during my recent flight to Europe. It struck me as very Euro chic with the black skinny jeans and the oversized scarf. So I gave it a try using my own wardrobe and paired a purple cardi (instead of a coat) with my own blue pashmina scarf and my version of black skinny jeans.

Inspiration picture, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’m actually wearing a pair of black jean capris, which I brought with me for this very purpose; I knew they could be transformed into long-seeming skinny jeans by tucking them into knee high socks and wearing them with boots. Their slim fit and 3/4 length means they don’t bunch inside the boot and with the aid of a knee sock, they’re now warm and long enough to be winter ready. (I did tuck down the one knee sock peaking out here after seeing the picture, since the knee sock is only supposed to be providing ‘behind the scenes’ service here).

I added my tan and brown Etienne Aigner bag, which is similar enough to the satchel worn by the girl in the picture in that its worn-in and aged – a welcomed hand-me-down from my mom. I actually had fun trying to recreate a look that appealed to me with as much accuracy as possible.  If you’re reading this and want to play along, peruse a favorite magazine and try this challenge yourself this week or next. (And if you happen to document it, send us your inspiration picture along with your version of it for our Monthly Roundtable!) S.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 30 September 2009 – Fashion Copycat"

1. Sarah Jane says:

What a clever idea about tucking capris into boots! I would never have thought of that.

I actually like your version of this look better than the image from the magazine. Your accessories are a bit smaller and less exaggerated, so that you’re not dwarfed by them in the same way as the model in the photograph.

2. meegiemoo says:

I think your combo looks better than the original. One reason is because I’ve never been a fan of brown boots with black pants/tights. Just wondering if you purposely avoided that combo for a similar reason.

Megan

3. Nadine says:

Oh, I love the sock! I thought it was like that on purpose. You look better than the model because, as Sarah Jane said, the oversized clothes are wearing her. I think your bag in particular is a huge improvement.

4. Jane says:

The blue and purple look great together and I love the flat boots.

5. Susan H. says:

I actually think the sock looks really cute peeking out! I may try doing that myself on purpose. :)

6. Alex says:

I will join the chorus on this one–I like your outfit far better than the one in the magazine. You have streamlined all that volume of fabric and purse billowing about the Lucky model’s top half into a sleeker and more elegant look. Plus, your boots are far more dashing.

This is my first comment, by the way, but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your blog for a while now! As a grad student with little cash and often even less sartorial flair, I love to come here for inspiration. And the colour combination modules? Are fabulous and helpful beyond words.

7. JBC says:

Love your interpretation of this outfit. I wanted to copycat also but haven’t found a blue scarf I love!

8. Luinae says:

I love your interpretation. IMO, better then the original! I love that colour of blue next to your face.

9. Tizzle T says:

That girl in the magazine should be copying you because you wear it better.

Well, I guess since it’s labeled “fashion copycat” in the magazine it’s okay for you to recreate it! ;)

Love the bright scarf!

11. [...] polka dot coat – Green with Envy, via TJMaxx Brown hat and scarf – C&A Black capris worn as skinnies – Younique Jeans, remixed Boots – Banana Republic, [...]