29 September 2009

September 29th, 2009 § 11 comments

29 September 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Gray jeans: thrifted, skinnied by me
  • Cardi: Marshalls
  • Teal nursing tank: Old Navy
  • Wedges: thrifted

Ohhh, ankle length pants. So fraught. And yet, weirdly, so tempting for me. While preggers, no less.

While trying to come to terms with the fact that I really, really, REALLY wanted to wear these newly skinnied, thrifted jeans as ankle-length pants, I turned to the always helpful Angie at You Look Fab for enlightenment. Re-reading that post on The Horror of Ankle Length Pants, I did note that a special dispensation is granted to skinny pants, particularly if worn with heels. And I’m all about taking advantage of special dispensations.

At the beginning of a new fashion season, it’s worth looking again at relatively recent posts by both Angie and Sal (of Already Pretty) on taking “figure flattery guidelines” with a grain of salt. I like these skinny ankle-length jeans on me. I can’t honestly tell you that they are the most “flattering” pants that I own, nor can I rave that my legs look so long in them. But for whatever reason, this appeals to me on some aesthetic level and I’m ready to rock it.

Is there a figure-flattery “don’t” that you’ve grown attached to? Or a style “rule” that you’re planning to defy this fall?

29 September 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 29 September 2009"

1. Elizabeth Ann says:

Personally, I love ankle length pants. In fact, I wore mine today. And while I am slim, I’m a far cry from 5′ 8”. I think they look great here (and on S. as well from the Audrey tribute several posts back). They make for a very sleek, modern outfit. Youlookfab just got it wrong this time around. The right ankle length pant can be a stylish and flattering look.

2. Cute! says:

Any tips on how to “skinny” a pair of pants? I have a pair of straight leg jeans I want to turn into skinny jeans, but I’m not sure how to do it.

3. Madeline says:

I would love to wear some ankle length pants, I am 5′-2″ and I don’t really care. If I put them on with heels and feel good, I will wear them for sure. Thanks for the inspiration!

Oh and I love that cardigan!

4. Heather says:

I love this! You look adorable! And like you have your own, very personal sense of style. Great outfit :)

5. Sal says:

Rules shmules, those ankle skinnies look perfect on you. I’ve come to accept that my beloved widelegs aren’t as flattering as I long believed … but I have every intention of continuing to work them in here and there.

6. sabrina says:

I like to “surrender the waist” as Angie calls it (wearing billowy, sack like unfitted dresses and tunics), accepting my longer torso but still wearing dropped waists, flats, and tunics, and low necklines despite a flat chest. You look great and this works for you because it shows off your delicate ankles.

7. Sharon says:

It seems pretty obvious that people need to understand the rules in order to break them, like you seem to do, but I don’t work that way. I like to experiment, even if it means looking horrible sometimes. My biggest fashion faux pass are awkward length skirts. I’m really short, so they are not flattering at all and instead of shortening them, I keep finding new ways to wear them, so they don’t make me look disproportionate.

8. Tracy says:

I love wide leg pants. I just think they are so cute. I’m very short (5 ft) so they probably don’t look the best on me proportion-wise. The other thing I love is wider leg pants with fairly flat shoes, like sandals. I know that Stacy and Clinton say this is a big no-no, but I think as long as your pants aren’t puddling on the ground, then it looks fine.

You look absolutely adorable in those, btw.

9. Megan says:

I don’t think fashion is always about flattery- to a certain extent its also about making a personal statement. Nothing says classically preppy like a skinny ankle length pant!

10. Those pants are really cute on you. I don’t follow the rule of wearing white after labor day (def no white dress shoes though-horror!). I still can’t make myself wear brown and black together or silver and gold though.

11. [...] simple as this outfit is, it’s really a stretch for me. Not only are my pants ankle length, but I am also wearing a fairly shapeless sweater dress-slash-tunic without a belt. I know, I know. [...]