3 September 2009 – Independent Study

September 3rd, 2009 § 15 comments

3 September 2009 – Independent Study, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Purple cardi: Gap Outlet
  • Gray nursing cami: Target
  • Black jeans: thrifted and “skinnied” by me
  • Orange pumps: Dolce Vita, via solestruck

Though this is just a simple outfit for running errands, I need to momentarily crow about the pair of jeans I’m sporting here. These indeterminately colored jeans were part of my thrifting haul a few weeks ago. They were bootcut and, as such, were quite flattering. But I’ve been having a hankering for a slimmer fit on my bottom half and decided that this $5 pair would serve as the perfect sacrificial lamb for another foray into DIY land. (That’s a mixed metaphor.)

As Sal wrote a few weeks ago, taking a scissors, needle, and thread to your existing wardrobe is a great way to revamp your wardrobe for practically free. I’m far from a skilled seamstress, but I know my way around a sewing machine well enough to hack at existing pieces in an attempt to tailor them more to my needs or taste. I’ve chopped and hemmed pants to make bermudas, shortened dresses, and even done a few more complicated reworkings, like the orange maxi-dress-turned-drapey-knee-length-number.

A quick Google search resulted in a plethora of written and video tutorials on how to make skinny jeans. I ended up primarily following the advice of this one and using a pair of my pre-preggers straight leg jeans as an additional guide. It took a couple rounds of experimenting (better to sew too wide than too narrow!), but I’m pleased with the results. This is my version of “skinny”: more straight than tapered, skimming over the hip but with a close enough fit to appear on trend.

And, as Angie over at YLF recently noted, skinnies aren’t going away any time soon. I have a feeling I’ll be heading back to Goodwill soon, hoping to snag a few more pairs of ready-to-skinny jeans.

3 September 2009 – Independent Study, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , ,

§ 15 Responses to 3 September 2009 – Independent Study"

1. Kelly says:

Love this! Those orange pumps are BA

2. Sal says:

I am SUPER impressed! What could fit better than a pair of customized skinnies? (Thanks, too, for the shout-out, beautiful!)

3. Whitney says:

Awesome! They look great!

I’ve considered hemming some jeans, but one thing has me worried. Jeans use bright, thick thread (at least most of them). So if I hem something, wouldn’t it look like I did?

Just curious.

Great DIY idea, and I love the color combo!!

5. angie says:

You look absolutely splendid! I can’t believe you gave birth a few months ago – on my birthday actually :0)

Getting back into skinnies post baby is a big deal and you are an inspiration. But what an excellent way to get a customized pair of skinny jeans! Amazing! (And thanks for the shout out too).

6. Rose says:

(shaking head) I can’t believe you look SO GOOD after giving birth…A M A Z I N G !

7. Susan says:

You did a great job on those jeans!

8. Luinae says:

Awesome job on those jeans! And I’m loving the 2/3′s of the purple/orange/green triad!

9. They’re perfect and I am very very impressed! Finding skinnies that sit nicely on the waist, bum AND ankles is a nightmare but you seem to have found the solution. I suppose this means I need to finally learn how to use that sewing machine of mine…

10. Diana says:

I love your jeans re-con, and this combo of purple and orange is awesome. I might try it with my orange Fluevogs sometime.

11. Great DIY project! I didn’t know a person could even do that, but it sure turned out great. Love the purple sweater, too.

12. Heather says:

Thank you for consistently posting your sources. I ordered those orange pumps from solestruck after I saw them in your Aug 24 post and I love them!

13. Little Red says:

Love the purple and orange together! You look gorgeous!

14. Kari says:

E., you are so crafty! The skinnies look perfect. Was it tricky to follow the tutorial?

My mom ended up crafting a pair of skinny jeans on her own, too. She had tried on my skinny jeans (we’re the same size & close in build) and I thought she looked great when they were tucked into boots, but she isn’t sure if she wants to commit to spending money on a pair. Instead, she took a worn-out pair of bootcuts, created a pattern using my skinny jeans since she liked the fit, and sewed them up. I was amazed at how well they turned out.