29 August 2009

August 30th, 2009 § 17 comments

29 August 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

All Remixed

Last night, A2 and I attended a luau-themed wedding shower.  When I heard we were expected to dress for a luau, I immediately rolled my eyes, but then I remembered this dress and actually had some fun building this chic luau ensemble.

I have worn this dress before with the black halter and with black accessories (earrings, belt, shoes, and clutch), but this time I decided to work with the mix of black, cream and tan in the floral print and add  brown accessories.  I think nothing says island like wooden jewelry, and in fact the necklace came from a trip to Hawaii several years ago.

I think the woven clutch also has a bit of an island feel, but since I used it to create a safari look not long ago, I decided to add my Blue Onion Marketplace flower pin to make it feel more luau appropriate.  I wasn’t sure how this idea would transfer form over-sized woven tote to small woven clutch, but I actually loved the end result and am glad to have found yet another way to use these great flower pins.

Flower Clutch, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 17 Responses to 29 August 2009"

This is such a lovely outfit. I really like the color palette; you look fantastic!

2. Teresa says:

Simply Gorgeous!

3. Dawn says:

Wow, love your outfit. It’s so stunning!

4. Love your outfit, but also those blinds!! Will you share where they’re from? I’m in the market for new window treatments.

5. Nadine says:

Stunning – and the flower on the clutch is genius.

6. Julia says:

You look amazing!

7. piglet says:

I love what you did with the clutch. The whole look is very chic and not costumey at all! It would be very easy to turn costumey with a luau theme.

8. Kimberly says:

I love the large flower on the clutch – such a great look! Also, love that you did a sophisticated look for the luau vs. sporting a grass skirt! :-)

9. Luinae says:

Such a beautiful dress and I really like the large flower on the small clutch- so unexpected and stunning!

10. admin says:

Thanks for all of your sweet comments. The party was a lot of fun and, aside from the bride to be who looked stunning, I do think I managed the most chic luau look.

lindsaywillman – the shades are from Ikea and I have the on a ton of my windows throughout the house. They are really inexpensive but look really nice once they are hung.

A.

11. Kari says:

Gorgeous! I love your dress, and the combination of the brown accessories & flower are such a chic “island” look. I also think it’s fun that you went for a very different look than the typical Hawaiian prints or leis.

12. Kristen says:

That dress is so incredibly flattering! I always take note of your outfit proportions as I think my body type is pretty close to yours, based on the proportions series you three did awhile back. This is a great silhouette and one I’ll try to mimic.

13. Little Red says:

The dress is so pretty! You look gorgeous!

14. penny says:

i love the wooden clutch with the flower!And i m glad you found yet another way to wear this beautiful dress!

15. I. says:

Hi A-you looked gorgeous!I love the effect of the big light flower on the dark cluth.

16. I am in love with this whole outfit, especially that jeweled neckline! So pretty.

17. Eveline says:

I love your dress, too!
    By the way, do you know where I could find Uzma Yacoob’s dress?
    Here is the link to it https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/1463714_530574180360870_1215683789_n.jpg