27 August 2009

August 27th, 2009 § 12 comments

27 August 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.
All remixed
Today I will meet my students for the semester.  I want to be sure to set myself  apart from undergraduates without being too overdressed in comparison to my fellow TAs.  The blazer, denim skirt, fun shoe combination seemed the perfect choice.

I have praised this old denim pencil skirt of mine many a times for its comfort, versatility, and chicness. I am now on the lookout for similar skirt to enter into the rotation and am looking forward to the slightly cooler weather when corduroy will be a more appropriate option.

Pink Shoes!, originally uploaded by academichic.
I think the black blazer blazer gives this look a professional vibe while the fuchsia shoes hopefully signal to my students that I am the creative exciting TA.   I loved wearing these shoes with lime green and purple but think they really sing when paired with an all neutral ensemble.

I like the layers of black on black and think the varying textures give my monochromatic top-half some added visual interest and sophistication.  A.

Black on Black on Black, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 12 Responses to 27 August 2009"

1. Sal says:

I bet you wowed ‘em, lady! You look sharp.

2. Nisha says:

You look great! I’ve been looking for a similar denim pencil skirt, but haven’t had any luck. Any tips on where to find one?

3. MsAmanda says:

Let us know if you find a new skirt.

That was my facebook status this morning-looking for some fall/winter pencil skirts that aren’t overly businessy/tailored/bottom of a suit looking. That is exactly what I need to fill out and change up my fall wardrobe

4. MsAmanda says:

Facebook survey of friends says Ann Taylor Loft, online specefically

5. Nadine says:

Very nice. I love simple shapes in interesting colours or textures.

6. penny says:

Very very chic!the shoes have amazing colour!

7. Kathryn says:

I just found a denim pencil skirt at Old Navy for under $30.00!

8. Samantha says:

Hey there, Love the blazer and I’ve been trying to get one just like it! However, my monitor shows it as a deep burgundy, not black! You did say black on black on black, and except for the belt, the cardigan and blazer look burgundy to me! Am I missing something??

9. Kari says:

Hmm, I am seeing burgundy too (though the belt and buttons look black.) Gorgeous blazer! I love how it dresses up the pencil skirt, and the shoes are just so fun. (They look like a comfy heel height, too.)

10. I looked forever for a good pencil skirt, but it’s worth it cuz it’s such a versitile piece. Loveth that jacket!

11. admin says:

Thanks all!

The blazer, tank, and belt are all black and all match quite closely in reality but for some reason the blazer in particular photographed as brown.

Look for a post all about pencil skirts later this week!

A.

12. [...] Last week, when I wore my favorite denim pencil skirt, which I have remixed for all seasons, I wrote about wanting another pencil skirt to add into the rotation with my denim stand-by and my newer grey chino pencil skirt.  I love that both of these can be dressed up or down and can be worn with any color and across at least three seasons. [...]