26 August 2009

August 26th, 2009 § 9 comments

26 August 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Coral Flower Tank – Urban Outfitters
  • White Strapless Cami – Banana Republic
  • Skinny Jeans – Gap Outlet
  • Woven Brown Belt – Forever 21
  • Sandals – Forever 21
This week has proved to be much busier then I anticipated with new deadlines, meetings, and social commitment thrown my way.  Yesterday I was to busy snap a picture of my outfit before leaving the house and way to tired to do it when I finally made it back home.  My plan for today was to catch up on emails and start working towards some of those new deadlines.  I dressed casually, expecting to spend most of the day at home, and in top perfect for soaking up the last rays of sun of my summer siting outside the coffee shop.  But, par for course this week, I ended up having to go into the department and to meet with a head librarian on campus.  There was no time to run home and change so off I went in my research-casual, sun-soaking ensemble.  The librarian seemed annoyed to be talking to me until I introduced who I was and then his tone dramatically changed. I do have to wonder, if  I had been dressed in pencil skirt and heels, would he have approached me differently?

Is it too much to ask to want to get a little sun AND a little respect all in the same day?

26 August 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to 26 August 2009"

1. jfount says:

Interesting. I’ve found that the most important distinction in the way I dress on campus is less casual vs business-y than undergrad vs faculty. This is partly a function of age, I suppose. I honestly don’t think the librarian was annoyed at your outfit, s/he was probably just busy or preoccupied. As a former reference desk staffer, this looks neat and adult enough to suggest your status.

2. Elena says:

Definitely not too much to ask :) I will admit that encounters while wearing my “graduate clinician” nametag always seem to go more smoothly somehow…

3. Nadine says:

I think you look nice! Casual, yes, but still put-together and polished. Far too fun, funky and cool for the head librarian . . ;)

4. ShopKim says:

She probably assumed you were a student due to the casual wear. It’s unfortunate that our outfits say so many words before our mouths ever do.

5. Sal says:

Just goes to show that what we wear affects how we’re perceived … sometimes annoying, but always true.

6. cecilia says:

Hi there.I just sent you a Great Read award(all three of you,of course).
    Related to your post, I had that experience myself, when you dress in a certain way you get more attention from other people.It’s just the way things are… not fair, I know.

7. Little Red says:

I love that tank! It looks especially fabulous belted.

8. Sabrina says:

Some people are just cranky, but most professors/instructors dress far less casual than you during the summer. You looked great and I don’t think you should have to do the pencil skirt and heels thing all the time. Good for you for being comfortable, chic, and casual.
    Just like female instructors are often stereotyped as “overly stern” or “earth mother”, female professors are either frumpy/messy/earthy or elegant/all business. I like that you bridge these false dichotomies!

9. Jess says:

It seems that I have a similar build to you. I’m curious to know if you have trouble with belting higher near the bottom of the rib cage. I always feel like I am constantly having to adjust the belt which deters me from wearing one. Any suggestions?