25 August 2009 – Shifty

August 25th, 2009 § 16 comments

25 August 2009 – Shifty, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Black shirt dress – Old Navy
  • Brown leather belt – Gap Outlet
  • Brown wedges – thrifted

Our recent recommendations on accessorizing a black shift dress made me all nostalgic for my little black wool shift dress. I love the silhouette of a great-fitting shift, and it’s a look that I missed while pregnant. Sadly, that wool LBD is not at all conducive to breastfeeding, nor does it hold up well to spit up, meaning that it will be relegated to storage for a little while longer. But, that doesn’t mean that the, er, spirit of the shift dress need be absent.

This morning I pulled out this slim shirt dress from my pre-preggers storage bin and buttoned it on with hopeful anticipation. And let me be honest. What you see in the photograph is the result of some thoughtful finagling, namely, wearing a black nursing cami underneath, leaving the top three buttons undone to accommodate my new breastfeeding bosom, and moving the waist of the dress up to hide my remaining baby bumpage by adding a wide belt.

Shifty Eyed, originally uploaded by academichic.

It sounds very complicated when I type it all out like that, but in reality it took only a few minutes of tweaking and slipping on a new-to-me pair of wedges to make me see something akin to my pre-preggers style (and body) in the mirror…just altered to meet the demands of my new life. Is it strange that I get a little creative adrenaline rush from my wardrobe trompe-l’œil?

Thrifted Wedges, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

§ 16 Responses to 25 August 2009 – Shifty"

1. beth gales says:

Love it, great look and functional too! How about adding some jewelry? :)

2. Kathy says:

You look great! And I love, love, love those shoes!

3. Nadine says:

Those wedge heels are groovy! It’s not strange at all that you get a rush from your creativity – I, as ever, am dead impressed with your baby-friendly styles.

4. stylefyles says:

love the black and brown! That’s a super cute dress, too!

5. Kathleen says:

Those shoes are fab! What a great find.

6. Joni says:

Thanks for all the great suggestions yesterday, very helpful. Love your shoes!

7. Elena says:

Love the outfit :) Inspires me to dare to combine black and brown more often…and to buy a great brown belt.

Love the black/brown combo!

9. brandy says:

You look great! I certainly see no leftover bumpage. As always, I love your style. And I’m JEALOUS over those thrifted wedges. I have yet to find a decent pair of shoes for myself while thrifting.

10. cecilia says:

Every time you post I only think’It’s impossible she just had a baby!’
    You look fantastic and the fiddling with the dress was sucessfull :)

11. Luinae says:

I love wredges- really need to get more of them into my wardrobe!

12. ShopKim says:

At some point it’s the little things that count! You look great and it’s functional so win-win.

13. Sal says:

Seriously, WHERE do you ladies thrift all these amazing shoes??!?

14. Carey says:

“What a cute dress!” I thought to myself – then I realized – I HAVE that dress, except in the burnt orange color! :) Always get lots of compliments when I wear it. (Must take it out of the ironing pile!) You look fab.

15. Sara says:

I love this look! It’s very flattering with the wide belt and an interesting way to remix a shift dress. And those shoes are super cute!

16. Krissie says:

one – it doesn’t look like you did any fanagling at all. It looks just lovely. And two, I love the black with brown. I just did a post on the fact that I used to not like black and brown together (bc I thought they clashed) but have recently started embracing the two colors so yay to you for doing that too!