24 August 2009 – Meet and Greet

August 24th, 2009 § 9 comments

24 August 2009 – Trim, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Wrap shirt – BR Outlet
  • Gray bermudas – thrifted, chopped by me
  • Orange heels – Dolce Vita, via www.solestruck.com
  • Earrings – local jeweler, a gift from my husband

This morning A. and I attended our department’s annual meet and greet brunch. I remember walking into our building three years ago full of anticipation and anxiety over launching my graduate career. I don’t really remember what I wore that day, but I do remember that A. and I were the only people there wearing skirts. If our meeting was a movie, there would have been a little *ding* noise in the soundtrack and a voiceover squealing, “Friends!”

Shirt detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

Today I brought baby e. with me to the brunch, and I eschewed a full skirt for a sleek pair of bermudas and a crisp white wrap shirt. And then…I threw on my bright orange pumps. Maybe my top was a message to the faculty — “I’m calm, I’m put together, don’t fear” — and my shoes were a message to the new students — “I can be fun, too!”

Because, really, nothing says “fun at parties” like an orange pump.

Dolce Vita Pumps, originally uploaded by academichic.

Umbilical Glass Earrings, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to 24 August 2009 – Meet and Greet"

1. This is lovely. Good for you for wearing shoes that say party!

2. Ashley says:

I wore orange-ish pumps on my first day back, too! Clearly, orange is *the* party color.

3. Anna says:

“Because, really, nothing says ‘fun at parties’ like an orange pump”…I might die laughing!

4. Kaylyn says:

I think the outfit is perfect. Strikes the right balance of fun and put together. I also LOVE how you chose to photograph your earrings. It’s like they’re a part of nature :)

Gorgeous orange pumps, and I LOVE the shirt. You look gorgeous.

6. Abi says:

Wow, you get away with wearing shorts & taking a baby to official functions? Sounds like your department’s really laid back! I love the shoes, orange is such an unusual colour that it really stands out. And you hung your earrings on a leaf? That’s so crazy, I love it!

7. [...] As E. said, today was the meet and greet brunch for our department.  For me however, this was followed by a TA meeting, lunch with new graduate students, a workshop on managing stress (I just managed to feel more stressed about my stress) and finally to work a table at the graduate student resource fair.   It’s been a long day – hence the nighttime photo! [...]

8. Sal says:

I have those EXACT pumps in teal. Aren’t they AWESOME?

9. Kasmira says: