21 August 2009 – Sundance

August 21st, 2009 § 21 comments

21 August 2009 – Sundance, originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed except espadrilles.

• Yellow cardi: Ann Taylor Outlet
  • Cream skirt: BR Outlet
  • White nursing cami: Target
  • Cream espadrilles: Old Navy

I’ve loved the monochromatic looks that S. and A. have sported this week, and today’s outfit falls somewhere in between S.’s soft, sophisticated neutral looks and A.’s bright layers of color. It took a while for me to accept the idea of wearing white and cream at the same time, but on this second go-round I can say that I definitely love the subtly of the combination. It might be my new black-brown fashion-don’t-become-fashion-yes!

I love the conversation that A. started yesterday about dress, expectations, and academia. When I was speaking at my alma mater earlier this week, I was reminded of a comment we received a few months ago from a reader who remarked that her status as a mom and academic made her even more careful to appear put-together and stylish on campus to counter any possible criticism that mommyhood was impinging on her brain cells. I certainly felt that self-pressure over the weekend!

I find the self-fulfilling prophecy of self-fashioning to be fascinating. I’ll be the first to admit that dressing well makes me feel better and thus makes me perform better. But every once in a while I remind myself that subversive dressing means that you can’t always “pass.” Is there a certain point when self-disclosure becomes necessary? It gets increasingly convoluted as one considers the layers of expectation, identity, and performance that we experience and enact. By dressing in a certain way, I may challenge what a feminist looks like or what a mom looks like, but on some level the subversion only works if I at some point let people know that I am a feminist, a mother, a half-Japanese woman, etc. The who and how of that disclosure, however, is what allows my style to be an act of self-empowerment rather than just an act.

Keep your thoughts coming. We have loved reading your comments!

21 August 2009 – Sundance, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 21 Responses to 21 August 2009 – Sundance"

1. ShopKim says:

I love this look on you! It’s so soft and pretty.

2. Lisa says:

This outfit is too cute on you!

3. Luinae says:

Whenever I see your outfits, it makes me wish I could wear yellow!

It’s too bad I’m fair skinned, with dark hair and green eyes. Yellow is not one of my colours.

4. stylefyles says:

oooooo! cute, cute cute! I love these colors and the flow of that skirt is AMAZING. jealousy has set in, immediately!

5. Sal says:

Good points! Kind of self-defeating to imagine you’re dressing subversively if the paradigms you’re subverting aren’t obvious to the observer … don’t imagine that’s gonna make you start dressing all schlupmy, tho, E.

I love the soft colors and shapes of this outfit. And the topics you and A. have brought up today and yesterday have continued a long-running inner (and occasionally outer) monologue that I have about this whole fashion blogging business. Once I have it sorted out I’ll let you know.

7. Nadine says:

So pretty! I think the 3 colours make a perfect combination. (I cannot believe you look so good after just having a baby! I’ve had babies myself and I’m in awe.)

8. Diana says:

I love this mix of white, cream and yellow. I never would have thought to blend these three together, but you’ve made them look fantastic!

9. meghan says:

“The who and how of that disclosure, however, is what allows my style to be an act of self-empowerment rather than just an act.”

I’m always struggling with how to reclaim style from the purely superficial and this is the sort of ‘no (wo)man’s land’ that I always come back to. It’s nice (and encouraging) to hear another woman thinking about how we reconcile ourselves with our image in the world. This is a great post.

(and the outfit is really cute too! I like the way you’ve been able to pretty consistently wear nursing tank tops lately without sacrificing variety or defaulting to basic mom style. it is good to know it can be done.)

10. Anna says:

What a pretty outfit! I love how the yellow functions as a neutral here.

11. kelly says:

I found a really cool color scheme creater that helps to see all the different complements, triads, etc!

Might be helpful to link to?

12. Krissie says:

You look stunning in this simple yet elegant outfit. I love the light colors with the espadrilles and that the only jewelry you’re wearing is the wooden circles. It all comes together so beautifully. I too wish I could wear more yellow but my skin tones don’t take to it so well.

13. lori says:

Love it!

So reminiscent of Rachel McAdams final “meadow outfit” in Time Traveler’s Wife

14. Unnati says:

Love this look!

15. Dottie says:

That outfit is sooo pretty. I love the white and buttercream with the bright yellow.

16. TD says:

I think you look beautiful!! That outfit looks like new spring light on you. Does that make sense?

17. [...] of our style personalities. As for the wedding ring question…we’ve already put in our two cents when this topic surfaced a while ago, but we would happily reopen this ever present dilemma for [...]

18. [...] stuck, both in describing my clothing style and in my own scholarship and personal activisim: the juncture of self-disclosure and public perception. And it’s why I’m glad I have A. and S. around to help me think through [...]

19. [...] of course, NOT putting thought into this is clearly not an option for those of women in academia who want to be taken seriously! … so this is all a very damned-if-you-do-or-don’t [...]

20. [...] NOT putting thought into how you look, and the message it sends out, clearly not an option for women in academia who want to be taken seriously! … so this is all a very damned-if-you-do-or-don’t [...]

21. [...] NOT putting thought into how you look, and the message it sends out, clearly not an option for women in academia who want to be taken seriously! … so this is all a very damned-if-you-do-or-don’t [...]