29 July 2009 – Coleus and Impatiens

July 29th, 2009 § 11 comments

29 July 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Gray nursing tank – Target
  • Magenta cardi – H&M
  • Gray grosgrain ribbon – craft box
  • Green jersey skirt – Target
  • Patterned flats that make everything better – Old Navy

In theory, I like the complementary color scheme of pink and green. It’s a sweeter, non-holiday version of the proper complements, red and green. But, as I explained back in April, pink is just not my color. So while I loved how A. did preppy chic yesterday with her pink polo and green accessories, I feel more comfortable moving one step over on the color wheel to pair red-violet and yellow-green.

This outfit is also an example of how the choice of a neutral can change the overall effect of the color palette. A white cami would have given this a crisper feel. Brown probably would have taken the whole “organic inspiration” bit too far. But this heather gray keeps everything softer and more subtle.

And… I match my potted coleus and impatiens. Nature is, of course, a fantastic source of inspiration for color pairings. I started wearing orange and purple together, for example, after realizing that they looked quite fantastic in a sunset sky. What color ideas have you found in nature? Have they always translated to outfits or are there some combinations that are better left outdoors?

29 July 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 29 July 2009 – Coleus and Impatiens"

I LOVE this color combination on you. You look fantastic in this red-violet color, and I love the two different shades of gray to ground the bright colors. Fab!

2. Sal says:

Gray really is the ideal neutral for this pairing – and I’m with Clare, the two shades of grey? Inspired!

3. Marie says:

Great outfit. I feel like I would have seen these colors in a pattern and liked it but never thought to do them together as solids. I like it!

4. AJ says:

I like how the green makes the other two Fall/Winter colors more season appropriate! So impressed with your willingness to wear accessories even though you have a little one to nurse! Are you able to get some sleep at night?

5. DJ says:

You look so great just few weeks into postpartum!!

6. Anna says:

I love the gray with this! It’s a much more sophisticated look than white or brown would have produced.

7. Erika says:

The gray is perfect: how clever!

8. I think that the dark gray belt is what makes the outfit so put together. I am a big fan of this color combination. Green is my favorite color and pinks are my second choice.

9. Dawn says:

Fantastic combination of colours. The grey camisole and belt really pull it all together.

10. Diana says:

This is so gorgeous on you! The gray was the perfect compliment to those bright colors.

11. [...] I like the rich organic look of these colors that remind me of some of my favorite flowers. E. noted yesterday that she sometimes draws color inspiration from nature, and I think that certainly rings true for [...]