29 July 2009

July 29th, 2009 § 17 comments

29 July 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed

Today’s shades, purple and yellow, are true complimentary colors – straight form the crayon box.  Purple is one of my favorite colors and I also really like the way it looks with my hair and skin tone.  Yellow, however, is a whole other story!  I like yellow on my walls, in my flowers, and in theory, I like it in my wardrobe too. In practice, it just isn’t for me.  I have yet to find a shade of yellow that I am willing to wear near by face.   When we first introduced these color challenges, I quickly identified some holes in my own closet color wheel and most of them were in the yellow to red family.  I purchased some yellow bangles and let that complete any combinations that would require yellow.

Yellow and Purple, originally uploaded by academichic.

Are there any colors that you love on other people or on the hanger but never on yourself?

29 July 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , , ,

§ 17 Responses to 29 July 2009"

1. Anna says:

I’m not sure if I’ve said this before, but I love this purple cardigan and wish I could steal it from your wardrobe! It looks gorgeous with the yellow stripes on that skirt.

Also, may I make a color suggestion? When I first saw this picture, I thought the white was pale mint green and really liked the color combo! I have no idea if you own pale mint green, but I thought I’d suggest it anyway. :)

2. R says:

Yellow is the colour I can’t wear either. I’m Asian, so yellow is difficult.

BTW, all three of you are completely inspiring me to wear colour and wear colour together instead of always wearing colour with black. Thank you!

3. Megan says:

I also have a lot of trouble wearing yellow. I don’t think I own a single piece in any shade of it! I really like it; I just feel like it never looks good with my skintone.

4. stylefyles says:

that purple is so bright- I love it!

5. jentine says:

The yellow and purple look soooo good together!!! The colour wheel never lies!!

6. Nadine says:

Gorgeous photos!

I love but can’t wear ORANGE. Sad about that. Also fuchsia and rust and moss green. All those yummy ‘Autumn’ colours.

Great complimentary colors! I love these earrings every time you wear them.

I have to be really careful about some of the shades of green because of my Mediterranean heritage. My olive skin can look sallow and sickly next to some shades, especially in winter when I don’t have extra coloring in my skin.

8. Dawn says:

I used to think I couldn’t wear pink but it turns out that I was trying all the wrong shades of it. I eventually found that a jewel coloured pink with blue undertones looks fabulous on me, and then proceeded to buy a bright pink winter dress.

9. Sal says:

Isn’t it nice that we can wear “unflattering” colors on our bottom halves and get away with it? Coral makes me look like a jaundice victim … but I just adore it.

10. simply.femme says:

I don’t really care for yellows, although I have recently discovered mustard and have found I can live with it — just no bright lemony yellows. (It’s not so much that it looks bad on me as it is I just don’t LIKE it on me.)

11. Joni says:

I’m jealous that you can wear purple! I really like purple, but I haven’t found the right shade for me. The ones I have tried so far seem to make me look tired and create a dark circle effect under my eyes.

12. Kaylyn says:

Yellow is the same for me. I love it on the hanger and in accessories…but not on me. Not near my face. Not as a shirt…nothing. In a pattern, sure! but not solid yellow.
    But this skirt is fab!

13. [...] like yellow, I don’t own anything in true orange.  Instead, I prefer the way a red-orange, rust-orange, [...]

14. Little Red says:

I love the purple and yellow together!

I like black on other people, but I think it’s just way too dark for my fair skin!

15. Sara says:

I love the purple/yellow combination – it looks so fresh and summery on you! This is such a great look!

16. Kristen says:

I think you look fantastic in yellow; you should give it another chance. That said, I am biased because it’s my favorite color. :)

Goes great with the purple, too; that also is one of my favorite combinations.

17. [...] As it turns out, I love the way the orange and purple look together (much like I learned I love yellow and purple).  I still don’t think orange is a color I will be going out and buying in bulk, but a few [...]