30 June 2009

June 30th, 2009 § 12 comments

30 June 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Brown tank – J.Crew, remixed
  • Jersey dress – BR Outlet
  • Brown woven belt – F21, remixed
  • Gladiator wedges – Target, remixed
  • Bangle – Big Lots, remixed

As much fun as our road trip was, it’s now back to reality and back to work. On our drive home yesterday, I complied my to-do list for the week and today I’m at the library and dutifully tackling it. After a week of much sitting in a car, it felt great to hop on my bike and pedal to campus. And increasingly a believer in the Velocouture movement, I’m seeing that you really can wear what you’d wear regularly and still bike commute. I wanted to wear this summery jersey dress today and my gladiator wedges and I was not to be deterred by my mode of transportation.

I know I’ve said this before, but one of my main concerns about biking was that I would have to change the way I dress and to sacrifice my style in order to do so. Fortunately, there are a growing number of chic cycle blogs like Lets Go Ride a Bike (no, really, check out this post!), Girls and Bicycles, and all of the Sartorialist-style bike blogs I listed in my previous posts here  that showed me otherwise!  So with laptop (in my back basket) and iced coffee in tow, I was out the door and to the library, where – if you’ll excuse me – I really should get to work now. S.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 12 Responses to 30 June 2009"

1. ShopKim says:

I adore that dress and it looks great with those shoes! Huge kudos to you for still keeping with your style while spending some QT with Nerp. I’m sure he appreciates you getting dressed up for him! :-)

What a gorgeous pattern on that dress! I’m infinitely jealous that you can ride a bike at all right now; my arm is keeping me from my life on two wheels, and it sucks (there really isn’t a better word for it)! So give both Nerp and your arm an appreciative “thank you” (or hug!)…they deserve it!

3. Trisha says:

Thanks for the shout-out. You and Nerp look great — I love love love that dress!

4. Sal says:

So much of my ride is uphill, I just couldn’t do it. I’d ruin all my dresses by pitting them out! But you look positively lovely, S., and more power to ya for being a one-woman velocouture movement.

5. Chiada says:

Adorable dress! I love this dress and especially how it looks with the gladiator sandals. Seriously, can I have your woredrobe, please?

6. Lauren says:

You look great! I love that dress – the pattern is so cheery. I’m impressed that you bike in your “all day” clothes and that you don’t arrive all sweaty! A few years ago when I lived close enough to campus to bike there, I would wear workout gear and bring my real clothes to change into (or at least change my shirt). On really humid and/or hot days, I would also bring a small washcloth, soap and deodorant so I could also freshen up with a bird bath in the restroom.

7. admin says:

Thanks, everyone! I had my doubts about this dress as it was definitely an impulse buy at the BR outlet last fall where I found it for a steal! It’s good to get so much pattern love from you since I was worried that it might be a bit loud ;)

@Lauren – Sometimes I DO arrive all sweaty and then freshen up in the bathroom with paper towels. But it’s all worth it since I’ll gladly get a bit sweaty in exchange for the fun of the ride. I also get all sweaty walking and taking the bus/metro, so this is really not too different. Maybe because I lived in Europe with no air conditioning and walking everywhere for so much of my life, my sweaty-tolerance is pretty high, so sweating in my “daily” clothes on my commute doesn’t bother me too much.

S.

8. piglet says:

Those sandals are great! I love them paired with the dress.

9. Erika says:

Hi, S. I love this dress, even more so with the vibrant tree leaves in the background. I’m glad you had a nice trip. Happy reading!

10. Diana says:

Beautiful dress! I love that you’re staying stylish while cycling :)

11. Robin says:

That dress is stunning.
    I love the pattern.
    You look absolutely gorgeous.

12. angie says:

I’m Dutch and riding bikes in the Netherlands is “the” mode of transport. People dress absolutely normally and go about their day and night like they’re driving cars – decked out to the nines. Love it. You just ride slower. Of course, it does help that most of Holland is VERY flat.

You look fabulous!