28 June 2009 – On Our Way Home

June 28th, 2009 § 7 comments

28 June 2009 – On Our Way Home, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Patterned scarf – souvenir from MN, remixed
  • tank – “MG Girl” tank purchased at previous MG meet
  • walking shorts – ON, remixed
  • sandals – Target, remixed

We’re on our way home! These days are spent logging as many miles as possible on our journey East. I’m recycling elements from previous outfits you’ve seen on this trip, as one has to do when traveling. So back out come the black see-no-spills-on-them walking shorts, my go-to black sandals, and one of my favorites patterned scarves.

I haven’t posted any outfits over the past few days because show days are spent with everyone wearing MG logo shirts associating owner with car and club location. I, trying to do my part as good future daughter-in-law, sported my fair share of said garments. Although today’s outfit is still of the MG variety, it is my one “chic” MG top and often the envy of many female show attendees. I got this “MG Girl” tank at a show a few years ago, where I got the display model since they were selling out quicker than you can imagine. This just goes to show how male dominated these car meets are perceived to be, that the moment someone offers a female-geared product it just flies off the racks.  I’m always surprised by the lack of female-targeted products when there is no shortage of female attendees or drivers at these meets. I guess old stereotypes die hard.

At this particular show, however, I spotted one very stylish woman wearing a cute denim shirt-dress with a red and white MG logo on the back. It was fitted through the waist and then flared out flatteringly to the knees, crating a lovely silhouette. Of course I had to approach her and ask her where she found such a stylish MG dress (of all things!) and was hardly surprised when she revealed that she had made it herself. She had purchased the cute dress and applied iron-on patches to it, making a one-of-a-kind design. Not only did I love this woman’s innovation and style but I was also impressed with the greater implication of such a move: instead of allowing herself to be limited by the male-centric offerings of MG products, she thought creatively and made her own garment, reflecting her sense of style and challenging assumptions about what (gendered) bodies enthusiastically claim a car logo on their apparel.

As I leave you with a gratuitous shot of show day, I ask you: what activities or passions do you have that don’t fit the “feminine” mold society has created for women? S.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 7 Responses to 28 June 2009 – On Our Way Home"

1. Diana says:

I love that patterned scarf!
    I used to work as a stagehand at a local concert venue, and I was one of few women there. Definitely not the most “feminine” job, but it was a lot of fun, and I got to see a few good shows.

2. Beth says:

My husband and I do a lot of home-renovation projects. At one point I found a great pair of leather work gloves that actually fit my hands well, but now that I’ve worn a couple holes in the fingertips of that awesome pair, I haven’t been able to find another pair of well-fitting work gloves. My small hands swim in the men’s small size, and the women-specific gloves I can find are all for gardening, not for protecting my hands when tearing out drywall and hauling wood, paving stones, etc.

3. ShopKim says:

What a great trip to be able to be able to take! It looks like you’ve seen some amazing scenery.

My 9-5 is typically male dominated (software developer) but that doesn’t have much impact on my style options and choices.

4. Dawn says:

My beloved sport of mountain biking doesn’t buy into the normative gender roles created by society. In fact, very few women do the sport. For example, I was in a mountain biking resort for the past week and I saw hundreds of men and nine women on bikes. That just depressed me…

The worst thing is that male mountain bikers aren’t very welcoming to female bikers and tend to make disparaging comments or be patronising to us. Cycling companies and bikes shops used to be awful for the ranges of bikes, equipment and clothing that they offered women but in the past two or three years, they have improved massively.

5. Anna says:

In college I did improv comedy, and comedy is incredibly male dominated. There were two girls to eight guys in my troupe. What surprised me was that the men in the troupe didn’t really treat the women any differently, but audiences sure did. If one of us girls made a dirty joke, the audience either was aghast or thought it significantly funnier than anything anyone else said all night. Similarly, the suggestions we got from the audience were always different than the one given to the guys. If we asked for an occupation, we almost always got hooker, along with teacher, nurse, etc. It was really frustrating.

6. Amy says:

I am a pretty big sci-fi nerd, and have been to my share of conventions! I always dress the way I usually do (which is fairly stylish, I like to think) at these conventions, if not a bit nicer since I will be getting my picture taken with various actors and actresses. As I’m sure you can guess, these are male-dominated outings, but I’ve seen more and more women in attendance over the past 5 years (which is how long I’ve been making my own $$ and attending these events). There is a truly lamentable lack of female-targeted merchandise for sale at cons, although I have seen the occasional baby-doll or fitted T.

Also, it has always baffles me that so many people in attendance (male and female alike) are in banged-up jeans and worn t-shirts when they will be posing for the camera and making a brief impression on people they admire. Dressing normally/nicely and looking like a girl has resulted in perks and freebies from (male) vendors for me, and compliments from both actors and actresses. The actresses in particular almost always look stylish, and nothing is better than when Captain Janeway tells you she likes your shoes! :D

This is a really great question! Socially-constructed gender norms really infect every aspect of life. One area in particular that people seem to be rather vehement about is weddings. So many of my friends are getting married in the next 2 years, and we’ve had a lot of conversations about choosing non-traditional but still chic options for wedding planning. Since you are engaged (and E. is married), are you struggling with what family/friends/strangers expect from you as the bride-to-be, in terms of fashion for you and your bridesmaids or other aspects? I would love to see a post from you guys on wedding fashion!

7. admin says:

Thanks for such great stories and examples, everyone! I loved reading them and love reading how diverse of a group you all are!

@ Amy – your wedding comment is an interesting one and I definitely couldn’t answer your question in just a quick response here because there is too much to say! Mostly, I’ve been annoyed not by friends and family and their expectations, but by the wedding industry and the cost of everything! And the equating of cost and money spent with how much you love each other! I’m trying to keep things in perspective and remember that it’s about the commitment more than the day/party itself and by having friends like E. design our invites I’m adding personal touches that make it all feel more special and less wedding industry-ish.
    S.