24 June 2009 – Diner Chic

June 24th, 2009 § 10 comments

24 June 2009 , originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed:

• Fuschia tee – BR Outlet
  • Black walking shorts – Old Navy
  • Black sandals – Target
  • Orange scarf – thrifted in San Fran
  • Sunglasses – H&M
  • Purse – Garage sale find

Another day on the road called for another scarf outfit. As A. mentioned, sometimes you can feel like your wardrobe choices are limited and one way to mix up the monotony of a capsule wardrobe is by going for interesting color combos. Yesterday I decided to wear my fuschia tee and to add a bright orange scarf to it – a bold color mix but one I’ve always liked. (This color mix was actually a long standing color contender for my wedding colors). As with the last scarf-on-the-road outfit, I wanted to incorporate the scarf right into the outfit so that I could wear it around my neck while stationary and then quickly have it at hand to wrap around my hair while driving:

I also strategically wore black walking shorts (as chic as a light cotton skirt or white pants may be – not really ideal when most of your meals happen on your lap in a moving vehicle!) and my new garage sale find purse.
Although we were all geared up for a day of driving and sightseeing, yesterday was spent unexpectedly idling around rest stops and parking lots as we dealt with the plethora of car troubles suddenly plaguing our vehicles. The oldest car in our caravan is a 1958 MGA and so its no surprise that it was having some major engine problems after logging about 1000 miles from its starting point to our stop in Colorado. So we ended up scrapping all our sightseeing plans and accepting a day of grass-sitting and rapair-watching instead. But the one cool thing that I wanted to share with you from my sights yesterday is the very awesome diner on I-70 in Flagler, Colorado.
The interior was wonderful decked out in 50s diner kitsch, neon lights and cow-spotted swivel chairs not withholding. In addition, the food was wonderful! This diner comes with friendly service, delicious food, a bubble gum pink corvette out front, and this ridiculous (my inner feminist was aghast) but wonderfully 50s bathroom sign:

Here are some more shots of this great establishment, definitely worth the stop if you’re ever on I-70 in Eastern Colorado! S.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to 24 June 2009 – Diner Chic"

1. Dottie says:

What a cool trip! I’m enjoying the scarves, wishing I had a reason to wear them in my day-to-day life.

2. piglet says:

This is what I imagine all diners in America to look like…
    Love the pretty scarf.

3. A says:

Perhaps I missed it somewhere but where/why are you roadtripping? Love the orange scarf.

I love the color combination AND the diner!! Believe it or not, I have been there a few times and it is definitely one of my faves for kitsch diner glory. Glad your trip is a blast so far, even with extensive repair breaks.

5. Sal says:

Yikes, sorry to hear you spent the day watching the mechanics work they magic! Hope the cars are all healed now.

Fuschia and orange is a favorite color combo of mine, too. Must work well for us brunettes!

6. admin says:

@ A – We’re at our destination now in Breckenridge, Colorado. We drove out here for a national MG show, I explained the basics of this in a prior post here:

@Clare – how funny! I can’t believe you’ve been there, we just happened onto the diner by chance because we were hungry and saw the pink corvette with Diner written on it from I-70 and so we pulled over. It was great, I was so glad we happened to pick that!

S.

7. Anna says:

That outfit is adorable! That diner sign is too funny! O love 50s kitsch but I always have to turn off my inner feminist for a few minutes so I can just enjoy it for what it is-dated. :)

8. Danielle says:

I love seeing all your travel outfits! Thanks for posting even though your on the road!! :)

9. Andrea says: