30 May 2009

May 30th, 2009 § 14 comments

30 May 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Necklace – World Market, remixed
  • Top – Limited, thrifted
  • Shorts – Gap, remixed
  • Wedge sandals – Target

After two weeks of flatwear and while facing another week of sensible walking shoes while on vacation, I knew I had to pull out a pair of heels or wedges today! But I also knew that I had to be on my feet for quite a while today, running errands and preparing for my departure tomorrow, so a comfortable shoe it had to be. These Target gladiator wedges are so comfortable, you forgot you’re not wearing flats. And they give me that extra bit of height (and confidence) boost that flats don’t always provide.

Although I love the feel of these shoes and really liked them with these walking shorts, it’s taken me a while to come around to the gladiator style and I’m not really sure how to fit these into my wardrobe. I feel like there’s a lot of sandal on my foot with all those straps and I’m not sure how to wear these without feeling like they’re competing with the rest of my outfit for attention.

For today, I kept it simple with clean lines and dark colors and let the sandals take the limelight. But how can I get more mileage out of these? Do you own a pair of gladiator sandals and, if so, how do you wear them? With florals and bold prints? With flowey fabrics or structured cuts? Please inspire me! S.

30 May 2009 – Heels, finally!, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , ,

§ 14 Responses to 30 May 2009"

I do have some gladiator sandals…one flat pair and my new metallic wedges! With the flats I tend to lean towards bright colors and interesting fabrics. I usually steer clear of having everything flowy, because it feels just a bit TOO toga-esque for me. I’m still new to the wedges, but I can see them paired with cropped jeans or miniskirts and flowier shirts and blouses, especially in dark colors (to off-set the metallic of the shoes). I’m definitely a recent gladiator convert, so I’m excited to see how else you style yours…maybe we can inspire each other!!

2. Megan says:

I don’t yet own a pair of gladiator sandals so I’m afraid I can’t help you, but I know Jessica at What I Wore owns a pair of heeled sandals that are similar to yours that she wears quite often. Some of her outfits might be able to help.

3. Meg says:

Cute outfit. I agree gladiators are so cute, but can be hard to style! I have high heeled ones, and I like to juxtapose them with a really girly dress. I think it’s unexpected and cute!

4. angie says:

That’s a fabulous outfit. LOVE it! Your shorts are the perfect length and your sandals are gorgeous.You look KILLER.

And I too am a gladiator fan. They add the necessary edge, update and verve to an outfit. I wish I could sport more of the style but most of them hurt my feet. I managed to find the BEST pair recently. If you have fussy feet like I do, you have to check out. These have become stellar walking shoes:

5. Meg says:

I was so excited when I saw this post because I just bought those exact shoes from Target last week! They were also my first pair of gladiator sandals, so I am still in the getting-to-know-you phase with them. I was mostly drawn to their wedge heel, which I felt was a nice height. Like you, I have worn them with primarily with simple outfits, letting the shoes take the limelight. However, I have found they also work well with slacks for a day at the office. And because they are so comfortable, I can wear them all day at work without sore feet (or knees or back!). I tell myself that the more I wear them, the less overwhelmed I will feel by them. Hope you have the same experience.

6. caroline says:

I like your outfit. Yes, I think they compete with your outfit, so that it’s a good idea to stick to simple outfits. But they aren’t too much shoe for you. Very cute!! I’ll have to look for these at Target!

7. Jaime says:

I have the same gladiator sandals from Target only yellow! I always buy shoes in a crazy cool or black. Maybe I should buy more neutrals… I have worn my sandals with troser jeans and slacks. I am not much of a dress wearer.

I have also notice that I also own the same black sandals that you cut the heal strap out of. Good taste S!

8. Diana says:

I don’t have any gladiators yet, so I can’t offer much advice. I definitely like the outfit your wore them with here. I have a feeling that they would probably look great with above the knee dresses.

9. Megan says:

I also own the same sandals from Target, and I just wore them to church this morning! So far I’ve worn them with a floral sundress, and then a tank top-brightly printed skirt combo. I have yet to try them out with either walking shorts or long pants, but hopefully will get a chance to soon!

10. Sarah says:

I have a pair of tan gladiator-esque sandals from Target that I have loved wearing for the past 2 summers. Most of the time I wear them with neutral skirts or shorts. Looking too flowy/togaesque isn’t a worry for me. Maybe it’s because I was a Classics nerd in high school :-)

11. jane says:

I borrow my daughter’s Gladiator sandals which I wore yesterday.
    If I could buy some heeled ones that would be great as I feel too short in the flats.

12. S. says:

Thanks, everyone, for some really good ideas!

I think I will try these with some fulls skirts or even floral next, and will ecperiment more with clean lines vs. flowey lines and cuts. If you’re looking for a comfy pair, these are Amazing! I think all the others who’ve mentioned having the same ones can attest to that!

And thanks, Angie, for the example of some really cute and comfortable flat ones!

Jaime – I didn’t realize they came in yellow, that sounds great!

13. ShopKim says:

Love the shoes! They look great with that outfit and I’m sure you will be able to pull them off with a lot of other things. I haven’t managed to get a pair yet but I really want to.