29 May 2009 – Plaid Shirt Three Ways

May 29th, 2009 § 8 comments

Plaid Shirt, originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed but borrowed shirt:

May 2009 – Plaid button down, originally uploaded by academichic.

All remixed but borrowed shirt:

We have been so lucky to get so many wonderful items on loan from the weardrobe closet. The concept behind the closet is that you get to see how other stylish people wear the same item in many different ways, and you help “inspire fashion creativity”. We here at academichic love the idea behind this since we’re always looking to each other and other style bloggers for inspiration.

We all tried our hand at the versatile Possibilities sweater from Anthropologie, and yesterday, E. and A. both showed how they rocked the same plaid tunic in different ways. A. and I also experimented with this cute plaid button down from Urban Outfitters, which I wore under my khaki shirtdress and she paired with her cuffed skinnies and purple cardi. We both used boldly colored shoes to emphasize the bright and beautiful shades of purple and pink in the shirt pattern, while using the neutral of the khaki and jeans to add balance to the outfits.

It looks like we weren’t the only ones who thought that this brightly colored top deserved an equally bright and fun shoe to go with it. Fellow style blogger Jess of What I Wore styled this same shirt a couple of weeks ago, and we just love the fun gold sandals she paired with it:

may 16 outfit 2, originally uploaded by Midwest Jess.

One shirt, so many options!  It’s easy to fall into a habit of wearing the one item in your closet in the same way with the same color combination over and over, so this style experiment has been a great reminder that even something as basic as a button down can go a long way in creativity and versatility. Thanks, Jess, for providing a third and fabulous example of how this item can be worn! S.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 8 Responses to 29 May 2009 – Plaid Shirt Three Ways"

1. Sal says:

Such a fun concept, and you three have done a fantastic job showcasing the versatility of the items you’ve borrowed.

2. jane says:

Great shirt – I love the colours.

I love this weardrobe closet thing!! It’s so fun to see everyone’s individual take on one article of clothing…like Kimberly’s Sisterhood of the Traveling Scarf, but on a huge scale! And it’s great to see what everyone does similarly (like the colorful shoes). I love both these outfits, and I love how each of you took a piece that has quite a bit of personality on its own and made it correspond with your own personal style!

4. Milly says:

Love both outfits with the plaid shirt
    oh what do you mean on loan from weardrobe?
    how does that work?

5. stylefyles says:

I really love what you ladies did with your weardrobe loan!!! I absolutely love the way that red and purple go together in E’s look, and I love S’s idea to put it under a trench-dress. Very cute!

6. Hannah says:

I love those Old Navy flats A but I haven’t been able to find them anywhere! Have you seen them for sale online at all? I know they’re at least last season…

7. admin says:

Hannah- I bought them in March or so, but one of my sisters just bought them on sale last month. You could try ebay too – I have had some decent luck finding things from previous seasons that are still in good shape, or even new. -A

8. Diana says:

I love this concept of seeing how different people style the same item. It brings so much more versatility to your wardrobe.