28 May 2009 – Maxi Skirt

May 28th, 2009 § 11 comments

28 May 2009 – Maxi Skirt, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Black top – thrifted, remixed
  • White tank – J.Crew
  • Turquoise maxi skirt – American Eagle
  • Above: Black sandals – Target, remixed a ton
  • Below: Flats – Old Navy, remixed a ton
  • Necklace – World Market, remixed
  • Bracelets – gifts

Yesterday’s discussion on the Maxi Skirt prompted me to pull out the one maxi skirt in my closet. Like many of you, I have my doubts about the figure flattering capabilities of a long flowey skirt, but this jersey one won me over with its softness and lovely color. Additionally, this maxi skirt works for me because it has a straight cut and creates a nice long lean line:

28 May 2009 – Maxi Skirt, originally uploaded by academichic.

Similarly to what many of you said in your comments, I always wear this maxi skirt with form-fitting tops, to counteract the loose and hippie-ish look of the skirt. I noticed that I also tend to wear it with black tops, which I think is another subconscious effort to mitigate the hippie-ness of the maxi look with a more somber color, resulting in what I hope to be more of a boho chic look.

Necklace detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

So I do have room for the maxi skirt in my closet, although I think I reached my quota with one maxi skirt. And I love how soft and comfortable it is and could see wearing this to the lab as an alternative to jeans. But here’s where I see a problem -you would have to wear closed-toe shoes with it in a lab setting. I love the boho look of this skirt with sandals, but once you add closed-toe flats to a ankle length skirt, all I can think of is Little House on the Prairie.

Of all my closed-toe flats, these are the only pair I could (with much hesitation!) see myself wearing with this skirt, although I really don’t think I’d ever willingly make this combination:

28 May 2009 – Reluctant shoe change, originally uploaded by academichic.

So what do you all think? Would this look still work with a closed-toe shoe? If so, what kind of closed-toe shoe would you pair it with? Or should the Maxi Skirt be reserved for sandals and open toed footwear only? S.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 28 May 2009 – Maxi Skirt"

1. Anna says:

What if you paired the skirt with boots? It might be a little warm for this time of year, but it might also be less awkward than having an inch or so of ankle showing between skirt and shoes. Just a thought

2. Sal says:

You totally nailed it, doll. The formfitting top is perfect, especially with the flared shoulder detailing for balance.

3. MsAmanda says:

i think the flats are way cute. since they have such a slim silhouette, they don’t add bulk to the outfit.

4. Sarah says:

I like it with the sandals or the flats. Both looks are super cute! I may have to keep an eye out of a maxi skirt, as it does have a very easy summer feel to it, and I love the hippie-chic look (although I’m afraid when I do it I just look homeless!). Not my usual style but so cute!!

I love the fluttery-sleeve top and giant necklace to balance out the skirt! And actually, I do like how you paired it with your patterned flats. Tres cute!

6. Diana says:

I’ve always been a bit skeptical of long skirts, but I think the way you’ve styled this one makes it very chic. I like the color, and the fact that it doesn’t have a crazy hippie print like lots of them do. I definitely prefer it with sandals as opposed to closed toe shoes.

7. Sara says:

As I mentioned on flickr, I love the detail of your maxi skirt. It’s been awhile since I’ve worn mine (I also only have one) but you have made me want to break it out again. They’re not super easy to wear in the city, unfortunately, or mine isn’t since it’s floor-length. But I might give it a try again.

8. caroline says:

I love this skirt! You look great. It definitely does not have the usual maxi skirt look to it. Great combo.

I would prefer the sandals over the flats, though. Hmm. And for some reason, the skirt seems to be very sandal-y.

9. S. says:

Thanks for all your comments, everyone!

Anna – I think boots would work! E. actually wore her one maxi dress with boots last winter and it looked great:

I agree with all of you that this is not the typical maxi skirt with its narrow cut and also solid color (Diana, I’m with you about the print!), so I think that’s why it’s an easy transition into the maxi look with it.

I’m still more comfortable with it in sandals, but based on your feedback, I could see putting on flats on boots and rocking this in the lab!

10. elle says:

I like a maxi skirt. I have one in black with a slit up the side that I’m pairing with black riding boots, tights, a chunky knit sweater and a colorful scarf.

I’m glad they’re back.

11. How do sellers handle clothes that are not delivered on time? Didn’t consumers complain? sincerely