How To Throw A Backyard Baby Shower

May 26th, 2009 § 20 comments

On A:
  • Green Halter Dress – J Crew
  • Orange Halter Top – BR Outlet, borrowed from S.
  • Brown Sandals – Steve Madden
  • Earrings – F21

On E:

• Purple Maxi Dress – F21
  • Wooden Necklace – Don’t recall
  • “Slippers” – Cobian, purchased at Hawaiian Island Creations

On S:

• Dress – Anthropologie, on loan from weardrobe closet!
  • Pink floral scarf – J.Crew
  • Yellow shoes – Gianni Bini
  • Silver flower earrings – Big Lots
  • Hair flowers – Claire’s

Happy Baby Shower, E. and N.!

To read more about how we did it, click through the jump!

We had such a fun time planning and hosting a backyard baby shower for E. and her husband N. that we wanted to share this event with you and to also show you some neat decorating how-to’s and recipes.
When hosting a baby shower, there are many things to consider: guest list, invitations, decorations, and menu. For such elegant parents-to-be, we knew that a sophisticated, co-ed shower would be the way to go. For us, this meant foregoing traditional baby shower games, pastel colors, and any gender specific references, in favor of simplicity, bright colors, and a relaxed backyard atmosphere.

The first thing we chose were our invitations. Unhappy with the selection of baby shower specific invitations, we went to one of E’s favorite stores instead, Anthropologie, and picked up these blank note cards, featuring an aesthetic we associate with E:

We also loved that these notecards came with a set of corresponding sticky-notes, which we used for both decorating and for guests to leave advice and well-wishes for the parents-to-be:

From these invitations, we pulled out our color scheme for the party, one of E’s favorite combinations: turquoise and mustard yellow. We then chose paper products in these colors and then used a variety of bright colors in the rest of our decorations:

Instead of balloons and streamers, we used an abundance of fresh flowers and these playful paper flowers (see how to make these yourself):

We placed vases of fresh flowers and hung our tissue paper flowers both indoors and outdoors:

For our menu, we planned appetizers, a main course, desserts, and drinks.

Appetizers:

• a selection of cheeses and crackers
  • A’s homemade guacamole, salsa, and tortilla chips
  • hummus and pita chips
  • salted chocolate covered almonds (a favorite to all of us!)

Main course:
  • summer corn salad and fresh mozzarella dish
  • tofu, vegetable, shrimp, and chicken skewers

It’s essential for any BBQ to enlist a grill master, who will prepare these items to perfection. Luckily, A2, A’s girlfriend and good friend to E. and N., willingly obliged:

Drinks:
  • beer and wine
  • Champagne Punch (non-alcoholic, aka “preggers”, and spiked)
But be careful to doubly mark the “preggers” version! We used some of our sticky notes and spare ribbon:
Dessert:
  • strawberry and brownie skewers (we put these out with the appetizers)
  • ice cream cupcakes
These were prepared especially for N., who is a big fan of ice cream cake. We chose a more backyard friendly version by making them in muffin pans, following this easy recipe. We think N. looks pleased:
Overall, we had a blast planning, hosting, and attending and we think our guests enjoyed themselves as well. We love both E. and N. and are so happy to have gotten to throw this special party for them.

Good luck, E. and N., as you get ready for the arrival of your little one! A & S.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 20 Responses to How To Throw A Backyard Baby Shower"

1. Katie K says:

Having just attended a baby shower with traditional baby shower games and “it’s a boy!” blue everywhere, I love seeing this party! I’m sure it was a great time AND of course, you three look fashionable as always!

2. Kaylyn says:

Wow! You all are some super creative ladies. I love the idea of ice cream cupcakes. We also just had a baby shower recently and chose to not have the traditional baby games and invite men. We had a good time. I’m liking the way baby showers are becoming more modern :)

3. piglet says:

Everything looks just gorgeous, well done!
    I love how it looks really classy yet laid back and comfortable.
    Also love how A matched her apron to her dress!

4. Kendra says:

Amazing job, ladies! The is the most sophisticated, adult-friendly shower I have ever seem. I hope my friends are an in-tune and creative as you!

5. Danielle says:

This is so sweet! Looks so great!!! I’ll have to remember these tips :)

6. Kari says:

Absolutely beautiful – all three of you AND the decorations AND E’s cheerful, colorful house. Thanks for sharing!

7. AcademicUnchic says:

Lovely as always. I have the exact same J Crew halter dress as A – love the idea of wearing it with a little something underneath — is that a coral halter top underneath? Or is it a tank top? You don’t happen to have a photo showing the back do you?

8. Sal says:

What an incredibly gorgeous event you put together, ladies!

9. Mo says:

What a lovely shower! Congrats E and N on the little one and to A & S for pulling off such a great party!

10. I. says:

Ladies- congrats (to E for providing the reason of having the baby-party; to A, A2 & S for the amaising job)! This was elegant, fun, simple and sofisticated…

11. milly says:

very creative!!!…everything looks great

12. admin says:

Thanks for all of your sweet comments – we can’t emphasize enough how much we both enjoyed throwing this shower and celebrating with E.

AcademicUnchic — the orange shirt is a halter that ties at the back of the neck. It provide more coverage in the front but also allowed me to wear a strapless bra because it was higher in the back too. I have worn this dress with other halter tops as well and always like the result and feel more comfortable in the dress.

Piglet — I didn’t so much match my apron to my dress, it’s just that most things I own are green! You might also notice that my dress matches my walls, my dishes, my furniture, and my house in general!

A.

13. Kimberly says:

Now this looks like a baby shower I wouldn’t mind attending!! I really dislike that standard showers with pink and blue garb and silly games. The tissue paper flowers are gorgeous (totally making some of those soon for a BBQ of ours). Also, you three look fantastic – love all the bright colors!

14. [...] a wedding, I try to pick something I could imagine wearing to other events: maybe a bridal shower, a baby shower, or a a graduation [...]

15. [...] an indoor or outdoor space, such as Mithi of Mithi’s Creative Journey did. We made these for E’s baby shower and you can learn how easy they are to construct right here. Marque pompom inside, originally [...]

16. Thanks , I have recently been searching for info approximately this topic for a while and yours is the greatest I have came upon till now. However, what concerning the conclusion? Are you certain about the source?|What i don’t realize is in fact how you are now not really a lot more neatly-liked than you might be right now. You’re so intelligent.

17. certainly like your website however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality on the other hand I’ll definitely come back again.

18. Marylou says:

In fact no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of then its up to other viewers that they will assist, so here it occurs.

19. Excellent blog here! Additionally your web site a lot up fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link on
    your host? I want my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

20. Wow, marvelous weblog structure! How lengthy have you been blogging for?

you made blogging glance easy. The total glance of your website is fantastic,
    ass smartly as tthe content!

Here is my blog :: carpet Cleaning canton ga