DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers

May 26th, 2009 § 86 comments

These colorful and whimsical paper flowers are easy to make and a great way to decorate for a spring or summer party. Just choose your colors, purchase some tissue paper and fishing wire, grab a pair of scissors, and you’re ready to go…

Click for the rest of the directions after the jump!

All you need is a pack of tissue paper (or more, depending on how many you want to make) and a spool of fishing wire. Each flower requires about six sheets of tissue paper. The glossier the paper, the easier it is to construct the flowers.

Layer four to eight sheets of tissue paper (the more paper, the denser the result):
Fold the tissue paper accordion-style, creating about two inch wide folds:
Cut the folded tissue paper into two equal length pieces, which will yield one flower each:
Set one folded piece aside and begin work on the other. Take a long piece of fishing wire and tie one end around the middle of your folded paper. You do not need to cinch the tied fishing wire around the paper, just tie it securely in place:
Trim the fishing wire to be long enough to hang the flower at your desired length:
Once you’ve tied the fishing wire around the middle, round out the edges of the folded paper like so:
Now start fanning out the folds on one side of the string and then carefully separating and pulling apart all the single sheets of tissue:
After fanning out one side, do the same to the other side. Lastly, fluff out both sides to create uniformity:
Once you have made flowers of varying size, color, and density, hang them and enjoy the colorful display:

Tagged , , ,

§ 86 Responses to DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers"

1. Mary says:

These are gorgeous! And so easy too– now I know what I’ll be doing tonight :) Thanks for the great tutorial!

undergradfab.blogspot.com

• Gaby says:

having a circus themed birthday party this weekend and going to make these in bright primary colors to hang from the trees.

• Nabil says:

You can use scrapbook paper, catrsdock or construction paper. Scrapbook paper is probably your best choice . It is available at WalMart, Michael’s, A.C. Moore’s and many others. It comes in an endless variety of colors and patterns. Look up scrapbook stores in your area. They will have sample pages and many even offer classes. If there are no stores go to some scrapbook sites on the internet . There are thousands of great ideas! You can also make your own greeting cards with the cricut. You will have a lot of fun with it I am sure!

2. [...] of balloons and streamers, we used an abundance of fresh flowers and these playful paper flowers  (see how to make these yourself): [...]

3. caroline says:

Cool! I bet my daughter would enjoy making these with me for her birthday party! Great idea! Thanks!

4. Kaylyn says:

Those are so beautiful and so simple to make! Now I can’t wait to have a party for no reason just so people can see I can be crafty! haha

5. yolio says:

I love these. When I was a kid, for every big holiday we would make these flowers en masse. We would string them together into giant garlands and hang them with banners. To me, tissue paper flowers = party.

6. milly says:

i learned how to do this in grade school for a play, which i totally forgot about…they really are cute!

7. Aussie says:

you have saved the day, not just my wardrobe!!!

I will be making these for a farewell party I’m organising for a friend at her place. I’ll be able to spice it up with colour and mood without breaking the budget.

thank you!

8. Aussie says:

Thanks again for this girls! The farewell party was yesterday and everyone loved the decorations!

9. [...] uses a Nikon D50 and E. uses a Nikon D40. These are the cameras generally used when photographing How-To’s or our Fashion 101 modules on [...]

10. [...] uses a Nikon D50 and E. uses a Nikon D40. These are the cameras generally used when photographing How-To’s or our Fashion 101 modules on [...]

11. Katherine says:

Thank you sooo much! I am definately making these for my little girl’s birthday party!

12. Olivia says:

Love those flowers!

13. [...] twine) from the garage made a nice ‘ribbon’. For the bow/flower, I looked up a diy tutorial on tissue paper flowers and fashioned this lovely, using a three different shades of colors of pink [...]

14. jamila thurman says:

i looove crafts, im an artist and i tend to get a bit crazy and stretch myself too thin. im pregnant and i cant just sit back and let stuff be planned for me, so i have told my friends that i have mandatory ideas that should be strongly considered. i absolutely love this idea, whose gona argue that this is too much work for a prego? its so perfect for my rubber ducky theme and it wont clash!!! im soo excited to make these with blue, green, and yellow!!!!!!!!!

15. [...] Of those few dresses that still fit me, I wore the one above to our baby shower this past weekend. It was a wonderful event and could have only been made better by having had more out of town guests able to attend. And notice those fun little tissue paper pompoms hanging from the tree? Long time readers may remember them from E’s baby shower with her first baby that A. and I co-threw with another friend. A. and I made those pompoms way back then and I was delighted to see them resurface in celebration of my upcoming baby (yes, they’re the very same ones, carefully saved and preserved by A.). If you want to see how we made them, check out our easy tutorial here. [...]

16. [...] did. We made these for E’s baby shower and you can learn how easy they are to construct right here. Marque pompom inside, originally uploaded by [...]

17. [...] to Make Quick and Easy Girl-Party Decorations Miriam, Katrina, and I made these streamer and tissue paper flower decorations for Cassandra's Baby Shower.  Really the only reason we made the flowers is [...]

18. alejandra says:

thank You i am going to the store buy some tissue paper o and by the way please comment on this because i want you guys to give me a opinion on this ”what do you think if a daugther plans her moms baby shower?”

19. An fascinating discussion is value comment. I think that it is best to write extra on this subject, it might not be a taboo topic however typically individuals are not sufficient to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

20. [...] experts out there. (This is a cry for help. Please do not ignore it.) I’ve already mastered tissue paper flowers, which pretty much is the craftiest thing I’ve ever pulled off, so you can bet there will be [...]

21. Fantastic put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!|What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me. Great job.

22. Dorothy Liuzzo says:

Tissue flowers are very cute, will they be in all colors or pink.blue, green, and yellow? You always come up with clever ideas. Mom

23. Dorothy Liuzzo says:

Jeanne I got the same e-mail from Erica. I like the idea. Mom

24. I'd says:

Thanks for what you might have. This is the most beneficial post I’ve study

25. suzy says:

i made theses for my grandaughters 1st communion. i got bud vases an put clear rhistones on the vase an put 3 of theses fkower in the vase for the center pieces in the middle of the tables. everybuddy love it

26. emmalee says:

If you want to keep them a while use trash bags they will hold up better then the tissue paper.

27. [...] is one tutorial for the flowers. I didn’t follow this tutorial exactly, I didn’t cut the paper in [...]

28. Valerie West Creal says:

The paper tissue flowers are a delight to make. I am having a birthday party for myself and wanted to mak things cute but inexpensive and saw this. After seeing all of the different colors come together, the are simply marvelous. I can’t wait to hang them as part of my decorations. Again….Thanks.

• Kitty says:

Happy Birthday! I love decorations that are so simple but festive. Nobody ever does anything special for birthdays in my husband’s family and I intend to break that tradition! what a fantastic idea!!!!

29. Vanisha Latrese says:

I first saw these while visiting the hospital during an Labor and Delivery visit and thought to myself, “Those are beautiful and perfect for my shower.” Now with the help of you guys I found out exactly how to make them. THANX !

30. Seamy says:

Aaaaaaawwwwwwsssssoooommmeeeeee

31. [...] whimsical look to a baby shower. It’s almost classy. You can check out a tutorial of exactly how to make a tissue paper flower from [...]

32. Jessie says:

Thank you so much for posting! Your directions were easy to follow and pictures were great to follow as well!

33. This is so easy and handy. Love this stuff. Thanks for sharing. The images just added the beauty of your post!

34. Kitty says:

I LOVE that I found your site!!! I knew how to make these about 50 years ago and have long since forgotten. I have a big family birthday party planned and I can’t wait to show off… errr I mean decorate

35. Amy says:

Mine didn’t work… I don’t know what I did wrong.

36. [...] now you may have this: Another lady’s guide to doing this very same project, from 2009. I’m 4 years behind. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like [...]

37. Emanuel says:

Feel free to visit my page :: 800score GMAT review (Emanuel)

38. Elizabeth says:

my blog – 800score GMAT test review, Elizabeth,

39. Quality articles is the main to interest the people to pay a quick visit the web site,
    that’s what this website is providing.

40. Tiffany says:

If you are going for best contents like me,
    only visit this website all the time for the
    reason that it presents quality contents, thanks

41. Celina says:

Youu can solve this problem, but many peopple forget the importance of adoption and imposition gratification stage
    spay/neuter. Thhis information must be quickly and accurately relayed to all appropiate parties to accelerate or maintain the rollout schedule of each siteMultiple Services PerformedDuring a scheduled pit
    stop, the pit latrines to the minimum.

42. Madison says:

Then do that If it comes out that way naturally, or if it feels pretty
    organic, I Äôll anti rust spray price in india let it be.
    He cites an artist that he signed, Kate Bush, as a
    child, I was going to make a Chanel inspired handbag out of a thrift store find.

43. Your style is unique in comparison to other people
    I’ve ead stuff from. Thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I
    will just book mark this blog.

44. [...] Here is how to make some tissue paper flowers http://www.academichic.com/2009/05/26/how-to-make-tissue-paper-flowers/ [...]

45. click here says:

So as to modify the content the website, the company should primarily know who their end audiences
    are and what keyword phrases do thdy utilise when they are seeking to a find a
    specific website. For example, as a private investigator, what
    keywords would you expect your potential clients to enter in order to find you.

In the event you get only twenty to ten hits a day, you only
    get one or two if not any at all.

46. You can discover how to use ultrasn0w one.2.3 right here.
    Getting into the Apple iphone shop is not that difficult and the programs are really quite easy.
    Yup, evidently its going to work on the iPad.

47. There can’t be a distinct winner to the question as to which
    design looks much better. It is an thrilling time to be an
    Iphone proprietor. A class system for arranging your apps?

Get a protective screen guard for your telephone.

48. It can be downloaded by opening Cydia and lookup for the Winterboard.
    It seems that you can get the very very best deal on
    ebay. This is the best Iphone unlock services on the marketplace, and
    is the simplest as nicely.

49. There are good things and bad things about this, and some geeks use it to full cover up from
    reality. It’s never as trashy as some of the aforementioned but some
    of the contestants might get under your skin.

50. cydia tweaks says:

With an unlock code, the telephone can be utilized by any
    services supplier. Clearly understand the purpose powering
    the proprietor promoting off his gadget. For the most part, it operated
    the same way that my Iphone 3GS did.

51. It has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard (the keyboard slides to the correct).
    This means you will be saving $50 on an Iphone 4 that is as good as new.

Yet, it does not have its name etched on its
    backside.

52. When confronted with the problem of choosing what to make for supper, I
    more and more turn to my telephone.
    You can also access the image information
    on your Apple iphone utilizing the software.

53. Not just that you are able to do a search on your own favorite search engine for more
    mandalas to color. You will find loads of excellent products out there for color-treated hair.
    For March replenish on green Play-Doh and increase St.

54. It is made out of leather-based, therefore it safeguards your Iphone to the maximum.
    With so numerous to choose from how do you know which types might actually be of some use?
    Dedicated 24/7 Assistance Team in UAE US and United kingdom .

55. Needless to say, that’s why herbs or essential oils are included.
    Even more healing may be the kneading the dough until it’s
    smooth and flexible. Fill the diaper bag with anything you believe you may require .

56. Some websites are claiming the decision Apple iPad 2 will probably be exact double of the Apple iPad.
    Help iPhone 4, 3G, 3G and 2G running firmware to 4.2.1. The likelihood of you getting caught
    redhanded are also fairly less.

57. You could rename and arrange the information by utilizing the option to
    keep iTunes music folder organized. The .three or .four are modern firmware
    variations. Yup, evidently its heading to function on the iPad.

58. 10Kw solar says:

Usualkly I do not learn post on blogs, however I would like
    to saay that thbis write-up very forced me to take
    a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me.
    Thank you, quite nice post.

Also visit my web site :: 10Kw solar

59. rea says:

It’s aan remarkable post designed for all the internet
    viewers; they will obtain advangage from it I amm sure.

60. In the future, it will support the iphone and newest iOS. Digital Photograph Frames let you display your
    electronic photos in a new way with out the require for a computer.
    Start by downloading the newest version of iTunes.

61. Carmen Sandiego still includes a few aesthetic defects, but, as previously mentioned before, itis still in beta.
    They’re willing to harvest in 8 hours, carries for 239 coins and makes you 3.37 coins hourly.

62. Also, you are allowed one free report annually of the 3 credit bureaus.
    (Disclosures are boring) You are not even suspicious until
    the site asks you for your credit card number. If you need to make a substantial purchase you should
    consider using an interest free card for the purchase.

63. It retails for $59.99 and will be available at Gamestop, Toys ‘R
    Us, and wherever game titles are sold. Everquest, made in 1999, is one of the finest massively multiplayer online role-playing games available.

64. But is may be the MySpace fad finally over? Double-Check
    to make sure that of one’s data is copied before going to the next thing.
    It’s the hottest social media website on earth.

65. Folosesc , în general, cuvinte cheie în fiecare pagină title.Finally va trebui să
    dobândească dreptul de cuvinte cheie .

66. Type-In ‘Administrator’ in the username text box and leave the
    password field blank. All you need to complete
    is add Status Shuffle as your Facebook software. I ordered a copy of Windows 7 as soon as I could.

67. There are two High definition game that has been tested in Z10, the Asphalt seven and NOVA 3.

For some time, we’ve mentioned how textual content messaging
    is a money cow for wi-fi carriers.

68. Ivy says:

If you have viruses and/or adware on your computer you
    should consider this step very seriously. I am counting on WhatsApp to preserve its supremacy in the IM market.

This is 1 of the most powerful gaming desktops in the business.

• Igor says:

Wonderful story, reckoned we could conibme some unrelated information, nevertheless seriously worth taking a appear, whoa did a single learn about Mid East has got much more problerms as well

69. solar panels says:

One of the main reasons a whole lot vitality is used, while both at home and operate, is simple
    ignorance! Keeping knowledgeable in regards to the easiest and best ways to preserve electricity is likely to make
    a major difference over time. Look at this write-up for some easy
    methods to use green vitality!

70. Many of the moment the free Or WINDOWS 7 application is
    illegitimate. Get notes, and consider tips on how to create your fan page better, because this will help create brand recognition. The one that works efficiently is
    Vtunnel.com.

71. That is another leading company application for Facebook.

The American television producer and actor did some essential trend alternatives within the period of 80′s.
    This tool can also be free and accepts numerous photos.

72. movie2k says:

Why? Because it is their energy that is your ali. As a result of his accidents,
    he kept falling issues. Additionally you employed your cell phone receive
    and to send text messages.
    Under 300 watts, I mean those by that.

73. Rather successfully, this might take care of the situation. Once on your own wall, discover the
    post that you would like to eliminate. Consumers will be able
    to set their own wallpaper on the Start display.

74. If the Administrator has no password, click on on the Administrator account icon and then select >add/change password.

Sadly, some individuals are utilizing its power to deceive other individuals.

75. Skip says:

The uncover depends on the firmware version on your iPhone
    and the switch firmware version.
    As an example, breaking hasbeen rumored to improve the vulnerability of iPhones to spyware.

76. Simon Jian says:

IT DOSENT WORK! I AM NOT HAPPY!

77. The object of the sport is to discover words by connecting letters in a grid.

You will use it to find devices when they go missing.
    You can have them conveniently shipped to your home or your company.