30 April 2009

April 30th, 2009 § 14 comments

30 April 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• White top – J.Crew, remixed
  • Red tank – Old Navy
  • Skirt – Express, hand-me-down from friend about 9 years ago
  • Yellow shoes – Gianni Bini, remixed
  • Red button pendant- Brookberrys on Etsy

Last night I sent E. a challenge, so she in turned challenged me. To wear yellow. No problem, I thought, until I went to my closet. I realized that I have a ton of yellow accessories (belt, shoes, earrings I made, my grandmother’s necklace, scarves, etc etc) but no yellow garments. There is a reason for that: It’s a color I really like but I just fear putting in large quantities next to my skin.  I fear it bringing out yellow undertones in my olive complexion, making me look jaundice-y and sickly.

(I do have a shimmery gold top that I even considered wearing out of desperation for a moment, but I really just couldn’t bring myself to walk into my advisor’s office at noon today for our meeting looking like I belonged at a nightclub with a cocktail in my hand. Even “toning it down” with jeans still seemed to be pushing it.)

So instead I’m wearing this skirt that has quite a bit of yellow in the print:

Skirt print detail, originally uploaded by academichic.

And I added the yellow shoes in hopes of bringing out the yellow in the print. But looking at this, I realize that I somehow managed to make an outfit that’s supposed to be predominantly yellow quite red. So to distract you – hey! Check out my cool button pendant from Brookberrys on Etsy! Look! Isn’t it cool how it’s a button?

(see, you forgot about the yellow already, didn’t you?) S.

Button pendant – front, originally uploaded by academichic.

Button pendant – back, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 14 Responses to 30 April 2009"

1. Sal says:

I’m the same way with yellow – I look like a jaundice victim and fear putting it up near my face. But when I DO don yellow tops, I just throw on a contrasting scarf of big ol’ necklace … usually mitigates the scary skin effect.

Love the distraction tactic, S. Sneeeaky.

2. Diana says:

I have the same issue with yellow. I am so drawn to the color, and have begun collecting accessories with it. But I’m always nervous about garments because of the jaundice look issue.

3. Mari says:

I have been following your site for quite a while now. I work as a highschool teacher (in Germany), with lots of eyes staring at me everyday, its an everyday challenge to get dressed.
    And I really learned a lot from you, especially when it comes to wearing belts. This expanded my waredrobe enormously!
    Thank you so much for the effort you three put in this site.
    Ich habe mich sehr gefreut zu lesen, dass Du Deutsch-Unterricht gibst. Deswegen nochmal auf deutsch: Danke für die schöne, informative und lehrreiche Seite!
    Liebe Grüße, Mari aus Bayern

4. Kathleen says:

Pretty skirt, though I didn’t even see the yellow in the first pic. :) I almost thought the challenge was to wear red.

5. OMG I swear I had the most adorable halter dress in that exact fabric from Express back in, oh…. maybe 2000/2001? LOVED that dress, looked so good on me! Then… I gained 25 lbs. Ouch :)

Thanks for bringing back the happy nostalgia! You are looking quite adorable in this red, I mean yellow, outfit!

6. Cute outfit, I love yellow and red. And thanks for mentioning my shop, I’m glad you like the pendant!

7. Kimberly says:

That skirt is adorable!!

8. S. says:

Thank you all for compliments on my red, ahem…yellow, outfit!

@Mari – Danke für den Kommentar! Es freut mich, das unser Blog dir als Inspiration diente! Ich werde nächstes (Schul-) Jahr auch in Bayern sein, in München. Wie klein die Welt doch ist!

@LeeHovey Kendra – I know, this skirt is definitely bringing the 90s back! Glad you could join me in the nostalgia! :)

@Lindsey – thanks so much for this wonderful pendant! It was just what I hoped for when I got it, and I will be wearing it a lot! I wear lots of red and have been searching for a red pendant on Etsy for a while and I absolutely loved the shape and design of this one, and the fact that it’s an oversized button sold me completely on it! :)

9. Mari says:

Your are spending a year in Munich?!! There are some great places to shop! In the south of Munich there is a one outlet store of the swedish brand Marc o Polo (I recently bought two great pairs of shoes there!) and a big one of the German brand more&more. I used to lived near there and I was there almost every week.
    Though I now live 80 km east of Munich, its a must to for me to drive there at least twice a year!
    Liebe Grüße, Mari

10. S. says:

@Mari – thanks for the tips!! I will definitely be using your Munich knowledge once I get there to find some good and affordable shopping spots! My stipend will be ridiculously small, so know of any good thrift stores?

11. Mari says:

Sure! There are lots of them in any price range. A big one is right near the Marienplatz in Munich. Its called Kleidermarkt in the street from Marienplatz to the Isartor. ;)
    (And there is another great outlet place in the north of Munich. “Hallhuber” – you will love it!!!) :)

12. S. says:

Mari – thanks! I actually know where the Kleidermarkt would be b/c I’m familiar with the Munich Altstadt and various touristy areas from visiting it quite a bit while I lived in Salzburg. I’m looking to hopefully live in the Studentenstadt.

And I am excited to go looking for Hallhuber now! :)

13. [...] Red pendent – Brookberrys on Etsy, remixed  [...]