30 April 2009 – Husbandly Advice

April 30th, 2009 § 8 comments

30 April 2009 – Husbandly Advice, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Checkered button down – husband’s, thrifted
  • Corduroy jacket – Ross
  • Jeans – ON maternity
  • Pointy toe pumps – Target

Today’s challenge actually comes from S., who told me that I needed to wear something checkered or plaid. It shortly came out, however, that what she really wanted to see was if I could figure out how to steal something from my husband N.’s closet and make it work with my bump. Now, I know that there is some disagreement over whether or not purloining from a man’s closet during pregnancy is course of action to be praised or condemned. I think — much like simply “buying up” several sizes instead of just buying maternity — that there are a lot of contingencies and no hard rules can really apply.

I wore this shirt of N.’s earlier in the year, back when my pants were getting tight but the bump was barely visible to the naked eye. I liked it then — and still like it today — because it has a softer drape than most of his other shirts, thus allowing for my shape to be evident. I felt like I needed some structure on top of it today, and N. actually suggested that I wear a blazer that would let the sleeves “poof” at the cuff. He approved of the shoe choice, too.

In other news, my end of the semester panic has temporarily lifted as I finished my third of four papers yesterday and found out that I passed my glucose tolerance test. This whole “getting dressed for not going to campus” business is working out pretty well thus far!

Tagged , , ,

§ 8 Responses to 30 April 2009 – Husbandly Advice"

I love this…so cute! I like how the corduroy blazer gives you a little of a professor look, but feminized by the pumps and skinny jeans.

2. Sal says:

I could never style Husband Mike’s shirts so chicly. Well played, beautiful!

3. Kaylyn says:

This is such a great look! One of my coworkers is currently at the same stage in pregnancy and she is always stealing her husbands shirts and I am constantly amazed at how good they look. The bump just makes ‘em perfect it seems.

4. [...] Last night I sent E. a challenge, so she in turned challenged me. To wear yellow. No problem, I thought, until I went to my closet. I realized that I have a ton of yellow accessories (belt, shoes, earrings I made, my grandmother’s necklace, scarves, etc etc) but no yellow garments. There is a reason for that: It’s a color I really like but I just fear putting in large quantities next to my skin.  I fear it bringing out yellow undertones in my olive complexion, making me look jaundice-y and sickly.  [...]

5. Diana says:

I love how you styled this – the heels and the blazer are the perfect touch.

6. Kathleen says:

I second Clare’s comment. The outfit is cute and yet professorial–very cute!

7. Vanessa says:

I am in love with this outfit. Ridiculously well-played.

8. Rose says:

I love how you are still wearing heels. You look beautiful and glowing!