29 April 2009 – Floral

April 29th, 2009 § 11 comments

29 April 2009 – Floral, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Floral button down – Talbots
  • White tank – old
  • Cropped Jacket – DKNY, remixed
  • Jeans – ON Flirt (thanks for the tip, Clare!!)
  • Grey wedges – Report, via Solestruck.com, remixed

Today’s challenge is florals. Florals isn’t that hard for me. I own a lot of florals. Admittedly, a lot of it is of the more abstract variety, but floral nonetheless

But A. assigned florals based on it being a “spring trend” and so I think the floral meant here is of the non-abstract and colorful spring variety. Since just a few days ago, I already wore the one dress that screams that to me, I had to find something else for today.

Spring Florals, originally uploaded by academichic.

This shirt is a hand-me-down and is definitely a spring floral. I liked it in theory but less so in practice and have worn it only once or twice since becoming the lucky recipient of it. I thought the colors very pretty when I got it, but I’ve had a hard time making it feel ‘me’ – so today I challenged myself to do that.

I’m making it feel more me by wearing it with dark slim fit jeans and a jacket. Yes, it’s the cropped jacket that I also had a hard time with before but its challenges pale in comparison to those presented by this Monet-ish number. But I think I like the end results of the floral with the structured jacket and jeans. And now I’m off to implement what I talked about yesterday – I’m dressed, I’m leaving the house, and I’m going to install myself at my favorite cafe with E. and get some mass studying done. S.

29 April 2009 – Floral, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to 29 April 2009 – Floral"

1. Diana says:

I love it! The whole outfit works so well – smart and casual. And I love seeing you with your hair down :)

You look great! I am totally a skeptic of the power of florals, but you may have just converted me! I love the dark and crisp lines of the jeans and jacket with the flowy florals of the blouse. And I’m so glad my jeans tip worked out!

3. Sal says:

I think you’ve styled it perfectly. I have a couple of super-busy floral blouses, and have the same instincts to modern them up with more clean-lined, quiet pieces.

4. milly says:

very cute blouse

5. Goober says:

Adorable top.

As a fellow short-waisted lady, I myself am a fan of the cropped jacket. I love that they always fit even if they aren’t from the petite department. And because they require a longer top underneath I can pretend that the jacket hits above my waist rather than on it.

6. Carey says:

I REALLY like this outfit – it’s all working so well together, and looks great on you!

7. S. says:

Thanks, everyone!

@Goober – I’m only just now converting to the cropped jacket, as I mentioned when I last wore it. But today was definitely a day convincing me that I can embrace this item despite my short-waistedness.

And thanks to your encouragement, I’m glad I’m pulling these less worn items out of my closet and giving them as second chance!

8. Kimberly says:

You look so pretty in your floral shirt (which is great with the denim and cropped jacket) and “summer hair”.

9. Milly says:

by the way..what was the tip Clare gave you about the jeans…please share :)

10. Spiffy says:

those jeans are such a great fit on you, they look fantastic!

11. S. says:

@Milly – The tip was to try the “Flirt” jean at Old Navy, because it’s that’s worked well for her. I mentioned that a midrise pant is best for my shape, and indeed, this jean fit so well! I got the bootcut version for a slim fit (rather than a flare). Hope that helps!