27 April 2009

April 27th, 2009 § 9 comments

27 April 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• White button-down – J.Jill, remixed
  • Blue polka dot scarf – from Kimberly
  • Black jean capris – TJMaxx
  • Ballet flats – Palladium
  • Scrabble pendant – Its All About the Print on Etsy
  • Cat – Louie

Sal’s post today inspired me to pull out one of my favorite articles of clothing: the white button down shirt. While Sal mentions her struggle to embrace this wardrobe basic, I was a believer from the get-go. I love this crisp, clean basic and how easy it is to combine it with other items in my closet.

27 April 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

I agree with Sal wholeheartedly that the traditional button down can need some sprucing up most of the time. Sal suggested some wonderful methods in her post and I’m donning one of my favorites today: the scarf as belt look. Worn against the white canvas of the shirt, a colored scarf pops beautifully and adds color in addition to waist definition. This particular silk beauty comes form the super stylish Kimberly, who snuck this little guy in with the statement necklace I won courtesy of her giveaway recently! She thoughtfully included three scarves, so that all of us would get a little treat in her package and we couldn’t have been more excited to each pick our favorite. Thanks Kimberly, I love my blue polka-dot silk scarf! There will be a lot more remixing of this item!

Scarf detail – front, originally uploaded by academichic.

Last time A. wore her scarf in this obi-style, a reader asked to see the back of it. While A. is great at tucking in those ends to create a more seamless look, I’m more sloppy with mine and tend to let the ends just poke out like this:

Scarf detail – back, originally uploaded by academichic.

Finally, I finished this look with a new favorite accessory – the Scrabble piece pendant from Its All About the Print on Etsy – and my most comfortable ballet flats meet tennis shoe slip-ons. S.

Scrabble piece pendant, originally uploaded by academichic.

Favorite shoes, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , ,

§ 9 Responses to 27 April 2009"

You look adorable! I love it. Also, what a great coffee cup!

2. S. says:

Thanks, Clare!

And you totally caught me – I love coffee mugs and have a large collection of all colors, designs, and sizes. And I love to sneak them into my shots ;)

3. Kimberly says:

Very cute simple and chic look. Glad you like the scarf – I knew you would wear it well. Also, love the shoes. Cute and comfortable – that is a hard combo to come by!

4. Cute necklace – I love a handmade piece.

5. Love the casual chic! The slit on the pants are so cute, but I think your cat steals the look. :)

6. Jane says:

Great outfit and thanks for directing me to the other blog – I found it very useful!

7. Sal says:

You look lovely as ever in this white shirt combo, S. Thanks for the shout-out, and big thanks, too, for addressing my frustrated belting reader … I hope I can help her figure out which belt style works for her, but it can be so tricky!

8. Sarah S says:

Thanks for showing the back for me! Congratulations on your marathon run too, hope the recovery is going well.

9. [...] I do have a so-called uniform is in my casual wear and weekend attire. I have waxed poetic about the button-down before, so I’ll spare you the lengthy post on it, but it is my go-to ‘uniform’ item when [...]