21 April 2009

April 21st, 2009 § 37 comments

21 April 2009, originally uploaded by academichic.

• Blazer – J Crew
  • White Tee – J Crew
  • Jeans – BR, borrowed
  • Green Flats – BR
  • Necklace – Faces
  • Bangles – various

This week we are pushing ourselves to try out trends we might normally shy away from.  My look today is drawn form the pages of J Crew.  I often love many of the pieces in this catalog but have a hard time imaging myself styling them the way the models wear them.

J Crew Inspiration, originally uploaded by academichic.

I’ve had this blazer for a while now but have never worn it with pushed up sleeves and a white tee, but loved the way it looked in the catalog.  I am still hesitant about these oversized cuffed jeans but am trying them out.  The “boyfriend look” is one I’m having trouble getting behind for many reasons not the least of which is that I just don’t like the term!  Today I am wearing my girlfriend’s jeans which are two sizes bigger than I would normally wear but create the slouchy look that seems to be in this spring.   As S. said, the flats are still a necessity one-day-post-marathon.

scrunchy-slouchy, originally uploaded by academichic.

Tagged , , , , ,

§ 37 Responses to 21 April 2009"

1. V. says:

I usually don’t like this look, but I think it’s adorable on you!

Well, I think you pulled it off nicely, and I love the touches of green in your necklace and shoes! Oh, and congrats on that race, lady…I’m very impressed!

3. Nic Ridley says:

I LOVE this! Very J.Crew! Effortless chic.

4. Diana says:

I’ve felt a bit unsure of the boyfriend jean look too, but I love how it looks on you. The green accents are the perfect touch!

5. yolio says:

Wow, this look is for you. I think it may be my favorite look on you yet. I agree with V, I usually don’t care for the boyfriend look, but it really works on you.

I am trying to decide what I like about it. The slouchy jeans offset the formal blazer which makes the whole look sophisticated but at ease. The necklace is my favorite part, it adds that dash of elegance and fem.

6. Sal says:

Really well done, lady. Too bad this isn’t your favorite look, because it’s just fantastic on you!

7. Richard says:

Yeah, I agree with the positive feedback above. You shouldn’t shy away from this kind of thing at all. Looks good on you.

8. Danielle says:

This is SO fab! Just love the jeans on you, and paired with the blazer! Love!

9. elyse says:

i love this on you!

10. RubyBastille says:

Those flats are adorable. :) I’m a fairly new reader, but I just wanted to let you know that I’m enjoying following your posts and that I’ve linked to you in my blog!

11. Libby says:

The green necklace adds a great kick to the outfit!

12. Kimberly says:

As soon as I saw the pic I thought J.Crew. You totally pulled this look off and look fantastic doing so! The green accents are so great with it also.

13. Winona says:

Oh my god you are a J.Crew catalog page COME TO LIFE. I think you look amazing and are totally rockin’ those girlfriend jeans.

14. Madeline says:

I have never thought much of the “boyfriend” (what a lame name for them) jeans, until I saw this. Well done! I love the blazer and tee too. All together, I think you more than pulled it off!

15. Anna says:

I HATE the term boyfriend jeans too! I also really hate wifebeater shirts. Are you three studying feminist theory, or are you feminists in your individual disciplines?

16. Ally says:

I love this on you – that green is a great shade on you too.

If this were the first time I’d ever laid eyes on you and you were wearing this, I’d totally think this was your normal, typical, cool style. Looks so good.

17. You look great. What you have to remember about models is that they are usually exceptionally tall, and may be able to pull off a look that a normal woman can’t.

18. Penny says:

hey!I have been reading this blog for a while and I just wanted to say that you are all extremely elegant and my God this trend is soooo good on you!It’s perfect!

19. [...] I like this bit of rogue fabric and register mixing inspired by J.Crew’s spring line, and like A. yesterday, am surprised to find myself pulling off a look I’d normally only admire in the pages of [...]

20. admin says:

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. I solemnly swear to NOT shy away from J Crew inspired looks anymore!!

Anna – we do all study feminist and gender theory and are feminists within our own disciplines too!

A

21. Ooh, i love it! JCrew looks are easy to spot and I love them so. I think you did a great job. It helps having the pieces to create the look. WIsh I could buy everything from their catalog. Often I just have to recycle it immediately for fear of getting sucked in. ;)

22. [...] trying out another J Crew look today.  This month’s catalog is filled with women dressing up chinos and and a colored tee [...]

23. [...] fit me like “boyfriend jeans” b/c they are a size bigger than my own) I called them girlfriend jeans — [...]

24. [...] often draw inspiration from the outfits styled for clothing catalogs and retailer websites, so since I knew I wouldn’t be able to purchased all the fun items I [...]

25. [...] of post –-my top 10 looks from our three years of blogging.  See, I wanted to point back to the time I wore A2’s jeans and called them “girlfriend” jeans –both because it was one of the first times I took (what felt like) a real risk with my outfit [...]

26. Offshore Company says:

Awesome blog you have here, but I was wanting to know if you knew of any message boards that cover the same
    topics discussed in this article?
    I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Thank you!

Here is my web blog: Offshore Company

27. I really like your web page at http://www.academichic.
    com/2009/04/21/21-april-2009-3/! Handy info relating to this subject,
    thank you for posting about it.

28. Smart ωay of viewing things – Ι’m a bit more of a black and white person, myself

Feel free to surf to my page; industrial jewelry

29. The International Whistlers Convention is held on the campus of Louisburg College.
    The place you choose for your ceremony or reception can encourage the fall theme and be a decoration.
    Trainers Barbara Jacobs and Leslie Farne are two of the most knowledgeable horsewomen in the business, and
    the horses receive better care than many people I know.

30. Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

31. I need help, I’m seeking for tips to receive my ex back again which we have now prevent contact for almost a year..

32. Right after learning the advantages of adjustable dumbbells and should you ever determine to get these factors, it will likely be greatest to learn some dumbbell workout routines also.
    There is the dynamic lunge & curl exercise and the 1 arm clean &
    press routine. You are able to execute these two exercise routines utilizing these dumbbells of
    yours that can be adjusted. There are far more which you can
    explore and take into account so do a lot more analysis.
    Obviously ahead of you purchase fitness equipment you’ve got to make sure it is going to operate effectively for your style of coaching but gathering some data and critiques from previous customers of various Adjustable Dumbbells will help you make an informed selection and offer you the most effective chances of producing the purchase which you is not going to regret.

33. Hermelinda says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of
    that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I’ll certainly be back.

34. My relatives all the time say that I am wasting my time here at web, however I know I am getting know-how
    every day by reading thes good content.

my web-site – search engine optimization

35. It’s actually a great and helpful piece
    of info. I’m satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

36. I do agree with all the concepts you’ve presented on
    your post. They’re very convincing and will certainly work.

Still, the posts are very short for beginners.
    May just you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time?
    Thank you for the post.

my homepage – watch for no good reason